Military Base Closures

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Military Base Closures

Looks like my brother will be unemployed soon. He is a welder at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Me/Portsmouth, NH.

eeboater

Commander

A couple things are getting affected by us. But you know what -- if there's bloat, I say elimintate the fat. If we don't need it, why spend money on it.<br /><br />Sean<br /><br /><br />P.S. -- No Offence GG... Its just that if a company was low on cash they'd lay off employees as well...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

GRRRRRrrrrr. When I retired in June of 93 there were a few places I could frequent and use my "retired status". Plattsburg AFB was about 1-1/2 hours to the North and Ft Devons was about 3 hours to my South. Both gone.<br /><br />West Point is about 4 hours to the South. I agree with some of the points of BRAC (Base Re-alignment and Closure) but with the ongoing need for veterans it is putting the screws to us. <br /><br />It kind of makes military retirement worth less and less.<br /><br />Bob

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

They are closing the air wing base plus a national guard station in my town of Mansfield. It will be a fair impact on the community. The airstrip is the largest in Ohio and the facilities are like new. Sometimes it makes you wonder if it all makes any sense.

gonfishn

Commander

They are probaly closing bases knowing that in the future more VA Hospials will be needed to handle the immense influx of our soldiers who will be coming home with many physical and mental problems.<br /><br />It happened during World War 11 and Vietnam..In the same breathe it probablty won't happpen because of the Goverments track record from before. The Goverment tends to turn their back after the sacrifices have been made and the job done..

NYMINUTE

Captain

This is not a good sign. Wonder if the "enemy" has privy to this data? Opens up areas of interest to them.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> They are closing the air wing base plus a national guard station in my town of Mansfield. It will be a fair impact on the community. The airstrip is the largest in Ohio and the facilities are like new. Sometimes it makes you wonder if it all makes any sense.
Sorry SS... <br />But the 180th Tactical Fighter Wing here in Toledo made the cut. In fact, it is said now that it will grow by adding from some of the other closures.<br /><br />My brother works traffic control for the FAA at Toledo Airport. He has spent time in Mansfield a while back subbing while they replaced their manager. He said all along that Mansfield most likely would be gone, with that wing being folded into Wright-Patterson.

D

DJ

I know these closures affect some people.<br /><br />But, the military is not here to support different parts of the country. They are here to train to protect us.<br /><br />If the military leaders do not think we need those facilities than we should listen to them. Otherwise, why do we have those leaders.<br /><br />I think iit is shameful for Governors and Senators/Rep's to beg to have their bases saved.<br /><br />The miliary is for protection, not social engineering.

RustyC

Seaman Apprentice

Unfortunatelly most of these base closings are more political then not. Alot depends on who has the most influence and clout to keep their bases open. The Army base by me (Ft.Monmouth)has been on the block the last two closings, but luckily for the people who work there our Senators had enough pull to keep the base open. FT. Monmouth use to be quite a large base with alot of different schools and commands. Over time they have been moved off to other bases.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

all these base closings yet a select few senators got the USS Kennedy saved. that boat is a rust bucket and should be razorblades. its really not combat ready nor ever will be again. same as some of the bases we have. some have outlived their usefulness as a military installation and should be closed or realigned. I do think the military branch should have more say in it than a congressmen or a senator hoping to save some votes.<br /> I tend to agree with the rest on the retiremnt thing. I almost think its gonna be like my social security blanket,if ever needed its not gonna be there. I already cant get dental, I also pay my copay on a medical conditiuon that I was retired over, the only way its free is if I drive 80 miles oneway on the off chaance they have space avalible.<br /> the way its spiraling down I cant reccomend the military to my son as a career option.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

The Goverment tends to turn their back after the sacrifices have been made and the job done..<br />
Yes Sir. And it's a damn shame.. :( >salute<

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Some one has there head up there ***. Every one thank Uncle W. I can't understand why they are closing the Heart of the US Submarine Fleet at Groton Ct on the Thames River. It's crazy Electric Boat is also just up the river also for who do not know they build them there, Also gone 5 Bases in this state. New England {Blue States} took a nasty hit I guess W is going to make us pay for it. With the sub base being relotated to New Mexico at W request fear not W is taking care of things. Another well know base that is going is Otis Air Force Base on Cape Cod if you remember the first fighter jets on 9/11 were scrammbled from there. Alot of people are going to lose there jobs and cities will suffer, New London CT and surronding area thrive on the bases for bussniess. I hope some one come to there right mind and sure looks that the Northeastern part of the USA is going to be really thin on defences...........

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Now the government is shipping US jobs overseas.<br /><br />Now settle down all you die-hard card-carrying red party members. I agree that if the bases aren't needed, close them. But with the problem with enlistment, shouldn't the military consider why? It isn't strictly the dangers of Iraq, it's the way the government treats the veterans. Shame on D.C. A bunch of idiots, self-serving idiots.

Laddies

Banned

NYMINUTE, I wonder if the enemy isn't in DC. sometimes--Bob

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its amazing that too many veterans, most who never heard a shot fired in anger expect a free ride the rest of their lives. For the same investment of time and effort in industry see what you have to show for the same amount of time spent in the military. As a bonus you get a chance to grow up, learn personal responsibility, and go to school under the GI Bill. If they stay around at least 20 years they get to draw at least half the base pay for their rank for life, free medicines, space available lodging and air travel and some other benefits. Why gripe about it being too far to travel to avail yourself of these so called benefits. You chose to live where you live. Move closer to one of the retained bases and don't expect the taxpayers to move it to you. I am happy with my military retirement and my civilian retirement as well. The military and government have been fair and I appreciate it. Most of the enlistments seem to come from the red states anyway and most of the griping from the northeast and east . Talk about prizes, politicians from those areas are master rock throwers. No wonder the military wants to move out. Just my 2 cents worth.

D

DJ

I have a feeling that this is ONE subject that "agitator" and I will agree on.<br /><br />It IS NOT the US milatary's OBLIGATION to keep a town/economy afloat.<br /><br />It is OUR job as US citizens to keep, THEM afloat.<br /><br />Come on people-THINK. If one is shallow enough to center their life around servicing US troops coffee, they need what they need where they need it. It might not be in your backyard.<br /><br />Armies/Navies/Air Forces are mobile, that's the key.<br /><br />I still think it's shameful for Governors and Senators/Rep's to fight for keeping uneeded bases.<br /><br />For what?????

Realgun

Commander

Sorry everyone by DJ's point is very valid.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I also agree that the military is not responsible for any growth of a town. Here is Mansfield where they have struggled with industry loss, union lockouts, and corruptness they always seem to find a way to get back on a level playing field.<br /><br />It does sadden everyone in the community from the support that the military has done to help the community.<br /><br />Even with the loss of the guard and airwing in this town, Ohio will actually gain a tad over 250 more jobs than before. It won't be here, but it will be somewhere in the state.<br /><br />It is our nature to not accept change, but it is something that we do anyway to only find out that sometimes it is best.

eeboater

Commander

Yeah, I'll chime in here. As I stated earlier. If a division of a privately owned company isn't needed, or has become more of an expense than a asset, it is dropped. Why should this situation be any different? <br /><br />The interesting thing about all this is if we tried to build a military base somewhere on US Soil. I wonder what the reaction would be. I wonder when the last base was erected.<br /><br />Sean