Miles vs. Hours

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
We took a driving trip for Thanksgiving and I started to think... hmmm... I look at distance in hours. Ex. 250 miles = 4 hour drive. I prefer using 4 hour drive. Which terminology do you all prefer?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Miles vs. Hours

Actually Bassy, I prefer the term "Longnecks/Mile"... :) Just kidding.<br /><br />That's a good question cause when I drive on a long trip, I prefer not knowing how far I've come or how far to the next turn off. Counting miles can get long...in a manner of speaking. For instance, when we go fishing to Kerr Reservoir, we us I85 thru the Shennendoa Valley to get to I64. I know that as soon as I get on 85 and plug in a particular ZZ Top disc, that I will be at the 64 turnoff, say within two miles. And this is keeping within 5mph of the speed limit.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Bassy, Bassy, Bassy,<br />What happened to California?<br />250 miles is only a 3 hr 15 min trip +/- 15 min<br /> :) <br />At least it is for me.<br />I learned how to drive in Southern Cal and it still shows!<br /><br />Yes, I prefer hours.<br />I know I can make it from Anchorage to Deshka Landing (87 miles), hook up to the boat there, launch it, and be three miles downriver in an hour. <br />Or <br />I know it takes 5 hrs 15 min to go from Eagle River to Fairbanks. approx 450 miles.<br /><br />hmmmmm,<br />time of year doesn't seem to matter either.<br /><br />AK Chappy

KaGee

Admiral

Me thinks Chappy must tie off his bladder before a road trip.....snick! ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I tend to think in terms of hours. Didn't realize it until I read your question.<br /><br />Then I realized. . . Alice is three hours south, Heidi is 5 hours west, John, Bah and Daniel are an hour and 15 minutes east.<br /><br />Longer trips are in days. San Diego is a day and a half west, etc., etc.<br /><br />When traveling I want to know exactly where I am and how far (in miles or hours)it is to the next major point in the trip. Auto navigating GPS does that for me.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow 450 mile in 5 hours is incrediuble. a 90 MPH hour average. must not have tourists or traffic lights or its right there with killing squirrels in a tree at 100 yds with a .22

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice

I commute regularly into DC. It's always 42 miles but sometimes 45 minutes, sometimes 3 hours. The distance doesn't vary, the time does. I like 42 miles!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

hehe.<br />State is 1/5 size of Lower 48 with fewer troopers!<br />90 mph is a good average speed.<br />I know I am bad!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

posted by Rodbolt: wow 450 mile in 5 hours is incrediuble. a 90 MPH hour average. must not have tourists or traffic lights or its right there with killing squirrels in a tree at 100 yds with a .22 <br /><br /><br />For a minute there i thought that Rodbolt was an alias of Robin Williams :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I tend to express it hours. My last trip across the country from Georgia to Seattle took about 50-ish hours driving time. 24 hours from Georgia to Colorado where I stayed overnight at a friends house, the rest straight from Colorado to Seattle. I averaged 80-85 mph the whole trip.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting question! When I first plan a long trip on the computer, I focus on the miles. But as soon as we start travelling, we think of the hours!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hours in the van, miles on the motorcycle, daylight in the boat and forever walking the dog

Kenneth Brown

Captain

For me it depends on the distance. Longer trips are by time, shorter by mile. Living in BFE I tend to use hours more than miles.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

usually hours, because miles do not vary from known points here in Florida, but times greatly change, depending on time of year you go to there.

aspeck

Staff member

Think of hours if over 3 hours drive. Think of miles if under 3 hours. Usually, that is, unless it is different.<br /><br />Guess it just depends on moods.

NYMINUTE

Captain

I use time always, comes from my profession. My trips to Lake Michigan are 2.5 hours, my time on the lake is ??? hours etc. Never thought I was different. Now I have a complex!!! :eek: :eek: