Migraine headaches

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just curious – who else here gets migraine headaches?<br /><br />I get them usually from certain things I eat. For example, too much jarred tomato sauce, alcohol, nitrates in deli meats or hot dogs, or dark chocolate. I think I also get them when the seasons change.<br /><br />I take Excedrin which takes care of them most of the time but for when they are really bad, the doctor gave me a prescription for a drug called Maxalt which always takes the headache away. <br /><br />I don’t get them nearly as often as I used to but I’ve had one on and off for a couple of days now so it got me curious about what other people do when they get a migraine.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Migraine headaches

I get insanly horrable sinus headaches that effect my vision and get me sick to my stomach......they are absolutly disabling. I get them a couple of times a year. Funny thing is 15 yrs ago when I went to a doctor about them they told my to go see a shrink cuz headaches shouldnt effect my vision the way these did. ( I go almost blind when they hit due to massive pressure behind my eyes from my sinus's inflamation)Well thank God I met a woman who had the same problem who helped me figure them out. The are similar to cluster headaches but are caused by my sinus's.There is nothing over the counter I can take to help the pain once they hit, they just run there course. The last one I truly prayed to God to take me it was so bad. Lasted 2 days.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Mike - <br /><br />For a while, I thought mine were sinus too, but now I really think they are migraine. I always get the on one side of my head - usually above my left eye (which is why I thought they were sinus) and it feels like a ton of pressure in my head. They almost always hurt more if I lay down than if I sit up and can definatly make me sick to my stomach.<br /><br />A hot shower with a lot of steam sometimes temporarly helps (another reason I thought they were sinus) but the best thing is to sit alone absoultly still in a dark quiet room.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I was in my teens (before all of the new migraine drugs were approved) I got truely awful migraines. Knew one was coming when the auora hit (blind spots in my vision). Next would be extreme nausea/ vomiting (sometimes to the point of dry heaves 'cause there was nothing left to come up). Then the headache. Only thing to do was curl up under a blanket in the dark and pray I would fall asleep until it went away. Even after the primary headache was gone I was left with a 'residual' headach for several days (pain if I sneezed, coughed, etc.).<br /><br />Started getting them much less frequently and with less severity as I got older. Now only every couple of years and have discovered a treatment that works very well for me. <br /><br />At first sign of the auora I take four ginger tablets and three advil (or 4 or 5 aspirin). Ginger has been shown to work very well for some types of nausea. Works much better than dramamine for motion sickness (for me) without the sleepiness. There have been controlled clinical trials documenting the efficacy of ginger for motion sickness.<br /><br />Then I'll chill out for awhile. Don't feel like running a marathon, but haven't had the nausea and the headache is mostly negated.<br /><br />Note that this might be completely due to the decrease in severity of my migraines over the years rather than the treatment. But there is no way in hell I'm going to take a chance and not take the ginger & analgesic just to find out for sure!<br /><br />I'm not a doctor and remind all that you can develop stomache problems if you take too many NSAIDS (non-steroidal antiinflamitories like aspirin, advil, nuprin, etc.) over a period of time. And NEVER take significantly higher doses of acetaminophen (Tylenol) than recommended! Large enough Acetaminophen overdoses can cause severe liver damage. <br /><br />Bottom line is that if you want to try something other than the prescription migraine drugs, you might try ginger for the nausea part and perhaps check with your doctor about the analgesic part (I don't want to get sued by suggesting that someone take double or triple the suggested NSAID dosage just because it works for me).<br /><br />Good luck for all you other migraine sufferers, I know how excruciating they can be!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I suffered from headaches that often brought tears to my eyes for 16years.It came-on from rapid changes in temp and humidity. It was diagnosed as sinusitus, pollen alergies, and finally, a bad tooth!! I had a root canal last year, and "the monster" (what I used to call it) has not returned. I thank God every day, and pray that the tooth was truely the "root-cause"...Get it? Root? hehehe. So far, so good.<br />I really hurt for you,knowing what you are going thru. Have you tried taking a steamy-hot shower with the door closed,filling the stall with thick steam? This often eased the pain enough to allow actual sleep at night.Sometimes, it just made me really clean with a splitting headache.

aspeck

Staff member

Don't get them too often, but when I do a hot shower and some Midol is the only thing that will cut the pain for a little while! :eek: <br /><br />My wife always asks if it my time of the month again!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

This desribes it exzactly <br />Qoute by lakelivin "I got truely awful migraines. Knew one was coming when the auora hit (blind spots in my vision). Next would be extreme nausea/ vomiting (sometimes to the point of dry heaves 'cause there was nothing left to come up). Then the headache. Only thing to do was curl up under a blanket in the dark and pray I would fall asleep until it went away. Even after the primary headache was gone I was left with a 'residual' headach for several days (pain if I sneezed, coughed, etc.)." <br /><br />I have tryed the shower thing....didnt do much or maybe its just so bad sometimes you dont relize something helping. The big thing is I used get so scared because I had no idea what was wrong now I know it will run its course so its not that scary. Just alot of pain. :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Knew one was coming when the auora hit (blind spots in my vision).
Oh man, Lakelivin.. I know how scary aura is.. Had that happen twice with bad migraines when I was in my mid teens.. Truly thought I was having a stroke or some other extreemly serious medical thing going on when that happened the first time.. Second time was no picnic either..<br /><br />I have not had what i'd consider a bad migraine, one that would put me down; in many years... I still get them, but nowhere near as bad as I did when I was younger..<br /><br />I don't take any Rx meds for them, just time and tylenol.. Oddly, listening to music sometimes helps me, and it can even be loud without causing any more pain..(maybe just helps pass the time, i dunno)

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Yes snapper it wasnt the pain that was scary for me either it was the auora thing that freaked me out as well, I was thinkin brain tumor :)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My dad had migraines, so I kinda knew what the auora thing was. It wasn't frightening in itself, except that I knew what was going to come next. Now I almost see it as a good thing cause I know I've got 20 or 30 minutes to take some meds and get ready for the rest of the symptoms. <br /><br />Snapper, you might really want to think about trying the ginger thing if you still get a bit of nausea with your migraines. (It's also good for motion sickness, and my sister has used it to help with a severe hangover.) I take 3 or 4 (more than the recommended dose as a supplement), but I figure the worst thing that will happen is that I'll have ginger breath for awhile. You might also want to talk to your doctor about taking something other than tylenol for the headache part. You may be able to take a higher dosage of many NSAIDS for the headache pain (again, want to be careful about stomache issues which is why I'd ask your doc). But you really do need to be careful about taking too much acetaminophen (tylenol). Acetaminophen can be very dangerous when it comes to overdosing; risk of irreversable liver damage is very real.<br /><br />Mike, if you're still getting the severe migraines like I used to get I'd suggest you see a doc. I'd love to know if the heavy ginger treatment and a massive dose of analgesics would help (like perhaps the equivalent of prescription strength ibuprofin or even codein). And if by chance you try it, please provide feedback. But for those really nasty ones I'd be tempted to go right for one of the new migraine specific treatments like Imitrex (or I think there are some other ones that have been approved since I last checked). Good luck, and here's hoping that yours reduce in frequency and severity with time like snappers and mine have.

gaugeguy

Captain

I went through a spell last year for about a week with some unbelievably bad headaches at night. Thought I was having an anurism or some other brain tumor related pain. I finally went to the Doc's and like 12 footer, I had a bad tooth. Root canal and the headaches went away.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

GG, if u turn to the dark side and route for the<br />Yankees, u will b cured! LOL<br />sorry, couldn't resist :p <br /><br />M&R, if equilibrium is effected, it may be caused<br />from middle ear problems.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm the kind of person that only takes medicine if I can't stand it any longer. I'd rather just tough it out but these migraines get REALLY bad. They stop me from doing the things I want to do. I talked to the doc about a year ago and Maxalt is the wonder drug for me. Seriously, if you get these headaches, talk to your doctor. It's just not worth suffering with that kind of pain if it can be avoided.<br /><br />This whole thing came up because I was sitting at home with the pre-headache aura thing that everyone is talking about knowing what was about to happen. My "magic" pills fixed me right up though... I'm feeling much better today.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Thanks Lakelivin.. I never got nausious from migraines, but the info about using ginger for motion sickness might help a few friends of mine who get a bit queasy out in the boat... :) <br /><br />As it is right now, I might get one migraine a month, if that many.. When I do get one, I just grin and bear the pain.. If I do take something, usually one dose of tylenol takes care of it, and by the time i get po'd enuff to take something, the migraine has usually about run it's course anyway.... On the rare occasion two doses...<br /><br />Takes me at least a year to go thru a bottle of 50 tylenol...

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

MY my equilibrium isnt effected, I have thought about inner ear problems and tooth problems and have ruled them out, sinus problems are my best guess. Like I said the last one I got.....about 3-4 months ago was so intense I truly thougt I was gonna die, and I was welcoming that moment.I could not even sleep at night. My wife's friend sent her home with something her doctor gave her for her migranes and they were crazy strong what ever they are and basicaly knocked me out but when I woke I still was hurtin. I know I should see a Doc about them but I have a hard time going to the Doc when Im feeling good so after they come and go I end up forgeting bout' them till the next one........or someone posts about theirs :)

Link

Rear Admiral

migraine headaches<br /><br />Got my first one when I was 18<br />Scary aura <br />Light hurts<br />Sound hurts<br />Moving hurts<br />Been through every test you can get from 73-85<br />Got them about once a month.<br /><br />From 71-73 before seeing a doctor I would black/pass out from them.<br />After seeing the Doc 150cc or mg? of demeral(sp) would put me into LaLa Land then drift off to sleep for 8-9 hours<br /><br />However there is some good news.<br />After getting out of the military the first time I felt the pressure building on the back of my neck and head I got scared real bad as I knew I couldnt just go in and have them look up my medical records.<br />Went to a friends house and she gave me two HUGE pills and told me to take a hot shower.<br />20 minutes later the pressure was gone and it didnt go into a full Blown Migraine!<br /><br />What she gave was two 500 mg Motrins (prescription)<br />Since 85 I have not had a mirgrain get out of control. I use off the shelf 200mg motrin.I start with 4 then if needed 4 more etc usually no more than 16 will do the trick.<br /><br />However I have been woke up with the pain a few times with a full blown mirgrain in progress.<br />At which time I take 15 of them and get into a hot shower. <br /><br />19 years of success so far. Plus as you get older mirgrains come less often. I maybe get 3-4 a year now.<br /><br />This is a serious subject and I could write a book about it.<br /><br />In 1990 we had a great summer and everytime we went fishing out in the Puget Sound I got a mirgrain. Found out by wearing a hat in the sun I no longer got them while fishing.<br /><br />Good post jsfinn

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi all,<br /><br />Yep, I get 'em too. I call mine 'hospital grade', 'cause that's where I usually end up, in a hospital. If I can get to my GP soon enough he gives me a shot of Pethadine and Maxlon.<br /><br />I've managed to work out a few things about mine and it also seems to apply to most other people as well. If anyone is interested I'll sit down and write a longer description of the physiological processes later, but it appears to be mostly sugar related. Usually people will find other triggers, like stress or 'relief of stress' (this is a big one for me), but the actual underlying thing that sets it all up is sugar, regardless of the overt trigger.<br /><br />Been getting them since I was 16, about 28 years now. I get most of the same symptoms as Link except the aura but I also find the smells hurt too.<br /><br />Chris........

Link

Rear Admiral

Heya Chris<br />Glad to see your still around :) <br />The aura thing was only a couple times before I was seeing a doctor about them. Just tuffing them out. Had some dates wrong earlier. Went from 71-78 without medicine.<br />'hospital grade' is a good term :) <br /><br />I coined the phrase (the absence of pain feels so good) When your not out of the woods yet, you can still feel the tension but its going away. <br /><br />
triggers, like stress or 'relief of stress'
I "almost" brought that up because from 71-78 every mirgrain was on my days off! 78 was the first time I got one on duty and ofcourse had to go on sick call because I could not function. <br /> <br />
If anyone is interested I'll sit down and write a longer description of the physiological processes later, but it appears to be mostly sugar related.
Dont go out of your way but if you something on that and dont want to post it here you could always shoot it to me here<br /><br />linkjackman1@msn.com

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I read a book a few years back called “Victory over Migraine”. I can’t remember the authors name but it did point me in the right direction. <br /><br />What you are about to read are my own words and interpretations. Gleaned from years of observation, deduction and personal experience. It’s quite a while since I’ve explained this to anybody so my memory is a bit rusty on some of the names, please forgive me. Also I am not a doctor, nor did I study medicine, these are just opinions and observations.<br /><br />The genetic link with migraines is open to discussion. However, my father suffered from them and I do too, with a similar pattern. The first memory of a migraine that I have is 1976, during a final year exam in high school. The exam the previous day was one that I was very concerned about. Later you’ll see the link.<br /><br />The overt trigger for migraines can be as wide and varied as the symptoms. Chocolate, onions, certain types of alcoholic beverage, certain odours, stress and ‘relief of stress’, many food additives including MSG, the list goes on. For every trigger I’ve named I’m sure that other people could add 10 more. The point here is not the list the triggers but to get to the root cause, the substance that sets it all up. <br /><br />I think it would also be prudent to mention that there are also many different symptoms of migraine. These fall into 3 basic categories, classic, common and cluster. <br /><br />Classic migraines are the ones that have all the fancy fruit with them. The vision disturbances, the auras, tingling fingers (or toes); and then the terrible pain in the head. Also be aware that some classic migraines can have the associated symptoms and NOT the head pain. They are still just as disturbing. <br /><br />Common migraines are the ones that start with very subtle symptoms then quickly develop the head pain. Some of the symptoms I get are dry skin on the forehead, very slight diarrhoea, loss of appetite. Other people may or may not get some of these or different ones.<br /><br />Cluster migraines are less common but still worth mentioning. They are the headaches that are ‘milder’ but come in quick succession and can last for days.<br /><br />From my reading of the book it appears that the migraines are set up by the ingestion of sugar. That horrible white poison we so freely add to everything. And don’t be fooled into thinking ‘raw’ sugar is any better! It’s just white sugar with molasses added for the colour! The situation is set up quite quickly and because we consume so much sugar. I refer to the refined sugars, sucrose and glucose, not fructose, which is the sugar found naturally in fruit. When the body absorbs sugar the blood sugar levels rise (quite rapidly) and this sets in motion a sequence of chemical releases by the body (Namely the liver and a couple of the glands located in the neck area). When the sugar level rises the one of the glands releases adrenaline (other chemicals will be released too but adrenaline is the one we are interested in). One of the effects of adrenaline is to constrict the capillaries. The net effect of this is to increase the speed of which the blood is flowing through these capillaries, which increased the amount of oxygen available to the body cells, and the brain. Because the body wishes to stay in balance another gland releases an agent to ‘moderate’ the effects of the adrenaline. This is where the problems start to occur. If a person is susceptible to migraine the mechanism that controls the release of this particular chemical is in some way interfered with, and too much is released. What that does is to dilate (expand) the capillaries. If they are over-dilated then the amount of blood flow and thus oxygen available is reduced, particularly to the brain. We are now ready for the migraine. All it needs is one of the other triggers to push it over the edge. With me one of those triggers is the stress/relief of stress scenarios. The stress causes more adrenaline to be released, enabling the brain to function better and the body to be ready for the flight/fight response. When the stress comes off and the dilating chemical is released, bang, migraine. <br /><br />I have recently found that packaged fruit juice, apple or orange, if I drink them at night will cause me to wake up with a ‘low level’ headache that lasts for a couple of hours. I have also found that anti-inflammatories, if used quick enough help reduce the pain of migraine. I’m still investigating the reason on that. <br /><br />I hope this helps some people. In the past when I have mentioned it to people and they look at their sugar intake many see a link. <br /><br />Chris…………