Mid section filling with water

mcgreavster

Seaman
Tested my motor today (1988 XP150) after replacing my water pump/impeller and had great pressure through tell tale and it shifted well. However, when I pulled the boat out of the water I noticed a considerable amount of water draining from the 3 weep holes towards the top of the lower unit right below the cavitation plate. I’ve had this motor for 8 years and I know water always drains out of these holes but today felt like it drained for 30-45 seconds when in the past it’s only been 10-15 seconds. Is this hurting anything if the water pressure is good and tell tale is strong?

Do these motors fill up with water to the waterline through the weep holes or do I need to pull this lower unit and figure out what I did wrong?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
weep holes could be clogged with dirt ... slowing down the draining

? tried cleaning them out maybe air pressure, but if crud accumulated inside cavities it will likely plugg up again. drop the LU and check cavities

see this little Merc..... it wasn't draining much !!

Attachments

• Merc gearcase   cavity sand....JPG
    Merc gearcase cavity sand....JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 2

mcgreavster

Seaman
weep holes could be clogged with dirt ... slowing down the draining

? tried cleaning them out maybe air pressure, but if crud accumulated inside cavities it will likely plugg up again. drop the LU and check cavities

see this little Merc..... it wasn't draining much !!
It was a full consistent stream of water