Mid-80’s Evinrude remote control

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
My flats boat has a 1985 Evinrude 25HP motor. I’ve owned this rig for about 15 years. The controls currently work OK but it’s starting to feel tight, like it needs lubrication. What PVM can be done to assure it continues to function as it should?
Also, as you see, the control is mounted on the right side of the console With the lever on the right. I’ve never seen another one like that- on the ones I’ve seen the lever is always on the left. Is this a white elephant, or can these controls be modified to fit either side? I’d like to buy another just in case something in there breaks.IMG_7142.jpeg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The older controls could be reversed. I would expect you would be able to get a replacement for your controls, as your configuration is not unusual.

The easiest thing is to take the control apart and grease it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Correct-----Lever can be mounted on the other side.---When box is off the console it takes one screw to swap the lever to the other side.----Box does not need to be taken apart for that simple procedure.------Is the motor running when you shift this control box?----Or is someone turning the prop when you operate this control box ?

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Great, thanks for the replies. The motor shifts and accelerates normally but I’ve noticed the lever needs a lot of force to push at the top end. What type of grease is best? I’m thinking maybe white lithium.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Same exact control and setup I had on my 1979 Star craft CC. Disconnect the cables from the motor and be sure it is the control box that needs attention...