mid '70s 650 flywheel/timing questions

bayoulee

Cadet
This is the second one of these I have had on my boat, and Im not getting along with it much better than the first. The only good thing is I've got a parts motor. My most pressing issue, It laid down on me, and I got it to the shop and figured out the timing belt broke. To pull the flywheel, do I have to have a special puller? I had searched the archives, and found a special mercury puller someone had posted, but I hate to give $40 for a tool I'll use once. I also need to know how to set the timing once I get er back together. Thanks a lot in advance! Lee

Incidentally, the old motor sounds great, (when it runs!) and I believe is solid. I already spent $160 on a new wiring harness, so Im not giving up on it yet.

bayoulee

Cadet
Re: mid '70s 650 flywheel/timing questions

A couple more ????'s....
I got the center 15/16ths nut off the center of the flywheel. Do I need to remove the smaller bolts that surround that nut? Where is my best bet to buy the timing belt? THanks, Lee

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

There should be some kind of "tool exchange" subforum.

I recently bought the very puller you mention to yank the flywheel on my 1979 70hp. It worked great, no fear of screwing up the flywheel or crankshaft. New EBAY trigger and stator are on the way, and my rig's drydocked a few months for complete overhaul, so I won't (or shouldn't ;) ) be needing the tool again for quite some time. Give me a week or two to install and test the new parts, pay shipping both ways and you can borrow it. It fits in a small USPS Priority flat rate box.

Those bolts you mention appear to hold in the hubcentric trigger magnets...do not remove those.

PM if you want the puller. Hell, I'll sell it to you for $25 shipped if you'd prefer, again just give me a week or two to test my ignition parts.

bayoulee

Cadet

Thanks A.J.
I appreciate the offer. Looking at it, I cant think that it wouldnt come off with a gear puller or steering wheel puller even, but....? I'm going to give it a shot anyway first. I wonder if I should replace anything under the flyweel while I have it off?? Thanks again-Lee