Mid 1970s 85hp Evinrude reverse issue

Kucuy

Recruit
I've searched throughout the forum amd found a few similar questions but not the same issue here. I'm hoping someone knows what the issue is 🤔

My engine will not shift into reverse. I disconnected the control cables and attempted to shift manually and still won't budge, goes forward and back to neutral no issues. I have used the boat many times like this but its a pain at the ramp sometimes. Someone said it was definitely the dogs but i thought if that was the case it would still move the lever into reverse at some point or another without engaging... right? But it done, on or off, will not move from neutral into reverse, i know its not the controls because a few months ago i rebuilt that, still works as before. I bout the outboard over a year ago this way, i rebuilt the carbs, replaced everything to do with fuel from pump to all hoses and works fine aside from trouble starting from cold without some starter fluid... (I'm sure some will cringe at that 😬) either way my current issue is the reverse. Someone please advice! Lo . Thanks in advance for any replies 👌👌

Mario

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would remove the lower unit and shift it on the work bench.----Any water in the gearcase ?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
If that model number is correct (85ETLR76G), you have a 1976 85hp Evinrude.

The barrel at the top of the threaded shift rod, to be correct must be screwed all the way down, then backed up just to its proper position... no further.

Also, there is a very small nylon bushing that must be in the hole of that barrel like shift connector. The part number is 318590, It's a must need item, you can't shift properly without it.

Last edited:

Kucuy

Recruit
Thank you gents! I will look into it this weekend and see what i find!