Microsoft computer scam

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't fall for this scam. There is no way they can know you have a problem.

I got one of these calls tonight and kept them on the line for ten minutes before they hung up. Yep they hung up not me.
First I made them wait 5 minutes while I booted up my PC. It was already on.
Then they ask me to hit the 'window' key, called it the 'flag' key. I told them my keyboard didn't have one. She transferred me to a technical expert who asked again. Told her I didn't have a flag key.
Then they had me open event viewer manually and look for yellow triangles or red x indicating errors. When I told her there was no errors ( there was a bunch, it is normal) and did that mean my PC was good. she Yea and hung up.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Microsoft computer scam

So, people are calling to have you check out your computer? Quite odd . . .

Did they identify themselves as Microsoft or some sort of software company. Ususally, within a limited amount of time, they will get to the 'scam' part. It sounds like they never did?

I wonder if us Apple/Mac guys will ever get such calls :confused:

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They did not actually identify as MS. They only mentioned MS as having issues and they needed to verify my system.
I think scam part was coming when I had errors in the event view. I threw them off the script too far when I said no errors. If they had kept going I was going to tell them I had hang up to go on the internet as phone and computer couldn't run at the same time, ie. dialup.

Very similar to this scam reported in UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd welcome their call.

I have a huge issue, windows is missing completely!

220px-Tux.png

Thalasso

Commander

So, people are calling to have you check out your computer? Quite odd . . .

Did they identify themselves as Microsoft or some sort of software company. Ususally, within a limited amount of time, they will get to the 'scam' part. It sounds like they never did?

I wonder if us Apple/Mac guys will ever get such calls :confused:

I doubt it. You might be calling them. From what i read you (Apple/Mac)guys are now experiencing the virus that Windows operating systems got. I read that it is on the rise

tpenfield

Staff member

I doubt it. You might be calling them. From what i read you (Apple/Mac)guys are now experiencing the virus that Windows operating systems got. I read that it is on the rise

I have been reading for years (and years) that Mac viruses are coming . . . they must be coming from another galaxy or something, because it is sure taking them a long time to get here :D.

Actually, I have the "Sophos" anti-virus on my Mac . . . it occaissionally finds something that is trying to get in via junk email.

tpenfield

Staff member

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There is no virus, yet.

Malware, spyware, yes, are starting to show up, but easily prevented with common software.

halfmoa

Ensign

To the OP, that's my favorite way to deal with those guys too. When I've got the time I waste all of their time that I can. The more time they spend on the line with me the less they're bothering someone who may fall for their veiled attempts...

aspeck

Staff member

... or the more you educate them so they can better take advantage of someone more gullible ...

I love fishing, but I hate phishing!

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Might it be possible that it was a phone scam? I understand there's ways to get long distance charges added to your phone bill by third parties. It might have also been someone looking to get your internet port open long enough to see if they could hack into it.

Roger

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

you mean besides the normal MS scam of pawing relatively crappy OS's off on us?

You know, vista, ME, 95 etc. :D

JoLin

Vice Admiral

WOW - my BIL (we both live on Long Island) JUST called for advice because some guy called him today and told him that 'MS is having issues' and he wants to help out my BIL. BIL told him to call back after 6:00 and called me to ask if I'd ever heard of anything like that...

Thanks for the heads-up, Joed!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

you mean besides the normal MS scam of pawing relatively crappy OS's off on us?

You know, vista, ME, 95 etc. :D

hahahaha!

Windows ME.....shudder......I still have nightmares about that piece of crap.

dolluper

Captain

Caller ID phone number 12345678-8000-21346566 YEP I think thats one of my friends I will answer that NOT....come on ....another cup of JAVA please maybe 2.....no caller ID .....yes they are in the bathroom hang on.....even with caller id I DO IT ....HAVE SOME FUN