Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 78.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Apparently QB Michael Vick is pleading Guilty to dogfighting charges. I'd post the story, but if you know who he is, there's probably no need. Google if you must.

Simple question...once he's taken his legal lumps, should he be allowed back into the NFL?

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Michael Vick Eligibility Poll

Why not - others get back into professional sports after their jail time, whether it is drugs, guns, murder, or dogs - why should a crime with dogs be worse than the others?

Personally, I would like to see ALL that are convicted of felonies be banned for life, regardless of the felony, but that is just me ...

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yes.....:)
Once he has fulfilled his sentence....;)
Scooter skated.....
In fact I think Dubya should pardon him....:)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If he has done his sentence he has paid the price of his crime. To exact additional penalty of denying him a career would be unjust.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I'm not an NFL fan, but I do love college football. They loose their best players every year and the game goes on. I could care less if he plays again or not. But there's not an option for not giving a hoot so I abstain.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Sure he should be allowed to return - in an ethical sense. But as a business (which is what the NFL is) is it wise to allow it? Will his return increase or decrease profits and the marketability of the "product"? That is the question for the league and any individual team willing to consider having him. The "thug" lifestyles shared by so many professional athletes is of great concern to the NFL and the NBA already. Alienating a significant segment of their market is not an option. I don't think we'll see it.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

If he has done his sentence he has paid the price of his crime. To exact additional penalty of denying him a career would be unjust.

It's not really about justice, it's about the rules. The NFL has very strict rules about gambling. If any of you guys buy his story in the plea (I bought the property, incurred all the expenses associated with the dogs, including interstate transport, fronted the money that was gambled, but did not technically place any bets myself or benefit from the money that was gambled) I'll be surprised (except for Haut ;))...

Apathetic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I vote "no" because I believe all players convicted of felonies should be banned for life. Football is a priveledge and he f'ed around with his chance. So f him. I'm so sick of these priveledged "stars" wasting their talent and getting away with it. I like how the NFL has a tougher stance, it's about time.

It's all a moot point in all likliehood anyway as if he stays a year or more in jail he will never be a starting QB in the league again.

Last edited:

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I have said all there is for me to say about that scum, clarification ain't necessary.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

MSNBC Breaking News: NFL suspends Michael Vick indefinitely, citing 'cruel and reprehensible' conduct.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It's not really about justice, it's about the rules. The NFL has very strict rules about gambling. If any of you guys buy his story in the plea (I bought the property, incurred all the expenses associated with the dogs, including interstate transport, fronted the money that was gambled, but did not technically place any bets myself or benefit from the money that was gambled) I'll be surprised (except for Haut ;))...
I don't buy his excuse, but if he does the time & pays his price......
What he did had nothing to do with football or hurting another human being......
As far as being able to play football a privilege, or any professional sport-POPPYCOCK!.....
You get there through hard work & your Darwin given talent......
They should start a real 'Rollerball" or "Running Man"....
That is the mentality of the average contact sports fan, and what they really want.....
As opposed to a dignified game like baseball, cricket, tennis or golf.....
So, it should actually easy for them to glorify any thug.....
To do any less is kinda hypocritical......
I still think Duhbya should give him a full pardon.....;):)

mscher

Lieutenant

Pro football is a business and Mike Vick was a well-paid employee.

They had to decide whether is was in their best business interest, to keep him around and apparently it was not.

I hope he squirreled awayed the big money he has already made.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Who the heck is Michael Vick ???
Englishman living in Canada here !!!!!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Mike killed a piece of property. I love my dog, but she is property. He never should have done such a terrible thing. But Ray Lewis may have killed a person and he is a superstar.

The man has skills and has to earn a living. Lets see what he learns....

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Ban him forever I say. It's more than a business, little kids look up to him!! Do you want you kid looking up to a piece of crap like him?

woodrat

Ensign

a piece of property, sure, but still a living thing, and if I heard it correctly, he tortured and killed several living things. That is just SICK, property arguments or not.

Since I never watch football anyway, I don't care. I would imagine that there is a LOT of thuggery and sick $#!% like this in pro footbal, and I have never understood the american obsession with overpaid, overpriveleged and mostly useless jocks and sports stars. Being a talented athlete should not buy you a license to do whatever sick and wrong stuff you can come up with.

and sorry Haut, but being paid big time money to play a kids sport IS a privilege. There is no inalienable right to get to keep your job no matter what you do, especially a job like that. If any of us were sent to jail in a nationally publicized animal torture and gambling case like this, wouldn't we look silly saying that it was no fair that we lost our professional license and job over it? guys lose their professional licenses for things like not paying child support, let alone animal torture.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

a piece of property, sure, but still a living thing, and if I heard it correctly, he tortured and killed several living things. That is just SICK, property arguments or not.

Since I never watch football anyway, I don't care. I would imagine that there is a LOT of thuggery and sick $#!% like this in pro footbal, and I have never understood the american obsession with overpaid, overpriveleged and mostly useless jocks and sports stars. Being a talented athlete should not buy you a license to do whatever sick and wrong stuff you can come up with.

Agree^^^^^

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

and sorry Haut, but being paid big time money to play a kids sport IS a privilege. There is no inalienable right to get to keep your job no matter what you do, especially a job like that. If any of us were sent to jail in a nationally publicized animal torture and gambling case like this, wouldn't we look silly saying that it was no fair that we lost our professional license and job over it? guys lose their professional licenses for things like not paying child support, let alone animal torture.

Teddy Oldsmobile killed a woman and liberals keep giving him a job.... I can't understand that?? Bill Clinton put his cigars in unatural places, you all proclaim him the smartest president ever????

Perhaps he could play in NFL Europe? Thats were bloodsports started...

As for marketing a unique talent, thats what America is all about.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Teddy Oldsmobile killed a woman and liberals keep giving him a job....
Falsehood......;)
I can't understand that??
Yer problem!.....:p
Bill Clinton put his cigars in unatural places, you all proclaim him the smartest president ever????
Smarter than Duhbya.....:rolleyes:

Perhaps he could play in NFL Europe? Thats were bloodsports started...

As for marketing a unique talent, thats what America is all about.
Agreed....^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.