MFS6 flush

Dotard69

Cadet
Just got a SailPro to replace my M5B. M5B was still running good, but not great. Anyways…. I’m on break in period now. Since this has a thermostat I don‘t see benefit of using the flush plug. (I’m actually using the plug from my M5B that has hose attached.). Since the thermostat is likely closed it can’t be doing much good. Bucket method is a little bit of pain and muffs are too big to squeeze between prop and water intake. Too bad they don’t make a bag with some kind of port to feed water…

pvanv

Admiral
Can't use muffs as the intake is under the antiventilation plate. Yes, flushing is always good, and you can idle until the stat opens.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Flush it with hot water and the 'stat will open quickly.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
The thermostat should open very quickly, within a minute or two where I live (ambient temps typically 70-90F, water from the hose probably 70-ish). Especially if you run it a little above idle. This goes for both my little Tohatsu 6HP and my Honda 50HP. You can tell when it opens by the sudden change in pressure of the pee stream and the hot water coming out the prop. Also even if the thermostat doesn't open, the motor will still fill completely with fresh water which is better than nothing. If you can get a set of muffs that fit tightly, and enough water flow, they will likely work. My Honda also has an inlet under the anti-ventilation plate, but it flushes fine on muffs as long as there is enough water supply to keep water coming out that inlet.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
After re-reading the OP, I'm a little confused. Are you thinking you can't run the engine if you're using the flush port? You can. Of course you don't want to be screaming with the RPMs, but you shouldn't do that on muffs either. When you put water in the flush port there will be enough water going BACK down the tube to the water pump to keep it lubricated, so you can run the engine to get it warmed up while using the flush port.