MFG Facts, trivia general info.. Post it here!

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys,
As most of you know, owning an old boat can often be frustrating and fun at the same time.
Although I'm in the middle of my MFG restoration, it's been necessary to do a fair amount of research on it. I plan to bring it back to original.. With that said, I would like to invite all of you MFG er's to post any tid-bits others might find useful.
I guess it's a good idea to mention a few things.....
When posting photos, keep them small enough as not gobble up bandwith. I believe the moderators like to see medium size photos. I have found 320x240 works good. I also use Photobucket photo service.
http://photobucket.com/
Lastly, What I, or anyone else for that matter, has to offer should not be considered "the last word" I certainly am no expert. It is my hope that we can keep this thread up top for all to see.

So, let me start. I have a 1968 Edinboro, So, most of what I can offer pertains to that.

The Edinboro production model ran from 1960 to 1970
2.jpg

1968 was the only year offered in two tone brown.
MFG colors Driftwood and Tahiti sand.

I have lots more info to offer. More than I have time for now.So please add you comments about your MFG for all of us to see!:)

Last edited:

pduquette

Ensign
Re: MFG knowledge page???

Hi ED ! Ummmm... I just checked the other mfg page - seems i can't pull up parts of it - ie "still in use" . Is it my machine or are they starting to delete stuff ??? Have you copied the info there ? or should we see if we can transfer /duplicate it here? Obviously givivg the propper cudos to the creators? Pete

woosterken

Lieutenant

Hi,PD
the other info that you refer to is still under reconstruction
from a major crash and switch to a new host.
if you contact the powers that be,you could find out how to access said info.
if you type fiberglassics.com/mfg that info will come up
not sure about "still in use"
here is a picture of my redheaded step child I call her that because I have not seen another like her!!

IM000075.jpg

she is a '74

woosterken

*EdC*

Hi Guys,
I too, tried the "still in use" page over there. No Luck. When they switched over to their new format, the MFG stuff didn't all come over with it. Early in the transfer, I asked the Moderators if it would, never heard back. Maybe they are still working on it, I dono.:(

Anyway...... I have some more info to offer.
The cable/drum steering that were on a lot of the mid 60's MFGs were made by Detroit Marine. Nowadays, known as DetMar.

P2160694-1.jpg

These wheels were quite common. Finding them today is a different story...I bought three before I found one that was restorable. One good thing, They have a 3/4" hole that will fit most of today's rotary helms.

P2160693-2.jpg

The back side. Notice the chrome plated bezel. wish i had one for my Teleflex

P2160695-1-1.jpg

Detroit Marine sold individual steering wheels with a plain black center. Manufacturers who bought in bulk, Like MFG could get their logos put on them.

So, Guys. Is there anything special that you know about your MFG?

Comm'on put it up here!:cool:

Ed.

*EdC*

Hey Guys,
Here's another tidbit.....
A lot of the 60's era MFGs had cleats that were manufactured by Wilcox and Crittenden. The type pictured below are from their Sea Flair line.
Typically measuring 5-1/4" long for the forward cleat and 4-1/4" long on the aft ones. :D

P3010696-1-1.jpg

P3010695-2.jpg

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer
Re: MFG Facts, trivia general info.. Post it here!

Those are the exact cleats I have on my Westfield. Do you know if they are still available new or NOS anywhere. Along with my bow navigation light the chrome on my cleats is pitted. I've looked around, but can't find 'em anywhere. I'm going to have to re-chrome the bow light as I've never seen another one like it, but if I could avoid having to do the cleats too I could definitely apply that $$$ elsewhere (electronics, bait, beer, etc...:D:D).

BOB

woosterken

Lieutenant

Ed,
are you talking about a center cap like this
IM000008-1.jpg

it is on my '74, I have the other little piece that goes on the spoke,but don't know what kind or glie to use to put it back on

woosterken

*EdC*

Those are the exact cleats I have on my Westfield. Do you know if they are still available new or NOS anywhere. Along with my bow navigation light the chrome on my cleats is pitted. I've looked around, but can't find 'em anywhere. I'm going to have to re-chrome the bow light as I've never seen another one like it, but if I could avoid having to do the cleats too I could definitely apply that $$$ elsewhere (electronics, bait, beer, etc...:D:D).

BOB

Hi Bob,
I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended):D Wish I could find some too. Must be NLA (no longer available) At least we now know what to look for. Cleats anyways. Anyone out there know who made the Bow light?
For what it's worth, I think Attwood made the aft Nav. light. I found an old one and it matches the outline in the gelcote fairly well. I'm not 100% sure but it looks right! :)

*EdC*

Hi Ken
Great looking Wheel! Do you know who made it? I would assume that your center section pops out, for wheel replacement. If the wheel was supplied to MFG by a speciality manufacturer, chances are, there may be other centers around with different logos on them. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to find one without any logo on it.
It's good to know what MFG was using '74. It also seems like the I/O models got a bit classier. Very nice. Certainly compared to the sparse dashboards of the earlier outboards.
PS. try a little CA (superglue)on the insert.

Regards, Ed

*EdC*

Got some more goodies for ya.............

Here are some vintage step pads, circa 1963. Known to have been on the Seaway and Westfield of that year.

P3150716-1-1.jpg

and some more....
Here is a steering wheel of 70's era outboards found on a lot of MFGs.
It was made by Attwood. They came with a center that was printed for the manufacturers who bought them in bulk. It was available in black and white, and used on most Teleflex systems of the day.

P3150715.jpg

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25906&stc=1&d=1239228604
Found this pic of a white one. Is on a Glaspar, thought I'd add it.

As always, if you have anything you want to share with us, Here's the place to do it :D

Regards,
Ed

Attachments

• !BM)o6r!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLl9odTBJmN+zesIQ~~_1.jpg
    !BM)o6r!!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLl9odTBJmN+zesIQ~~_1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

My 1964 Niagara has a 3-spoke steering wheel, white, with the dolphins in the triangular center cap. Sort of 60's corvette-like, I think. It looks just like the one shown above:
P2160694-1.jpg

I painted the bezel white when I changed from the cable steering/Johnson motor to the Teleflex/Suzuki. I will sell the oem MFG steering drum, chrome cap and pulleys if anyone needs them. I probably won't go back to cables... If I was a rich man I would install a new Teleflex and an eTec immediately :cool:

pduquette

Ensign

My 1961 Oxford is the last year of the Oxford line . It's style was changed from 1960 with the addition of raised gunnel caps , and revised auto-style dash with center glove box with aluminum cover .
The hull has 14'10" centerline and was availible with 15" or 20" transom cut out , Mine is 15". The hull is MFG 's classic lapstrake hull with the 1/2 round (I'll call it a dory style ) bow . After 1962 MFG began streamlining the bow entery with an angle .
My Oxford came with the optional Talor Plexiglass curved windshield , Curtis-Wright cable and pully steering and was setup for a Evinrude . I don't
know if my boat came with the optional splashwell , but the holes are all there . This leads me to beleave she was ordered as a "Delux" model .
I have discovered that the original colors are Turquoise and Tahitian Sand when stripping the ratty royal blue and white off this spring ; I have matched the turquoise as close as possible , But have planed to go with gloss white - at least for this year...
I have included pictures of the glove box/dash and the Curtis-Wright wheel , and bow , I will add / edit more pictures and info as I come upon it .

IMG016.jpg

IMG006.jpg

IMG013.jpg

IMG010.jpg

Last edited:

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice

Does anybody know of a company or site that sells reproduction decals and emblems for the MFG boat line? I have a 1964 MFG Niagara Custom that I am trying to finish but I am missing a couple emblems and would like to replace them. On a side note here is an interesting site to look at if you have not already been to it. http://www.fiberglassics.com/mfg/ It contains all the original sales brochures and price list as well as the factory specs for each model and covers a wide range of years. Thanks guys.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Does anybody know of a company or site that sells reproduction decals and emblems for the MFG boat line?

If you browse through the MFG pages here you will find a thread about the project Mark42 did. I think he has made some emblems and mentions it there.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Guys,
Here's another tidbit.....
A lot of the 60's era MFGs had cleats that were manufactured by Wilcox and Crittenden. The type pictured below are from their Sea Flair line.
Typically measuring 5-1/4" long for the forward cleat and 4-1/4" long on the aft ones. :D

A follow up to the cleats:

I picked up a set of four of the 7 1/2" Sea Flair cleats off of ebay that were 'new old stock'. Thanks again bhammatt for finding them for me:D My original front cleat was 6 1/4" long so I don't think the difference in size will be too dramatic. I'm still looking for two smaller ones for the rear.

Needless to say, I only need one of the four so if anyone else could use a one for the bow of their boats just let me know and I'd be happy to let it go for the cost of postage. Here are some pictures...

BOB

HPIM0617.jpg

HPIM0616.jpg

HPIM0618.jpg

HPIM0619.jpg

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

I also picked up a used bow light off of ebay about a month ago. I spoke with the seller prior to purchase and he said that he thought the light came off of a boat that was 18':rolleyes:...Not exactly a wealth of information. I'd love to know what year & model the MFG was, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I figured when I bought it that it was the same as the original on my Westfield, only painted white to cover up some blemish, but when I compared the two I noticed there were quite a few differences.

You can see that my original (chrome) light is narrower when viewed from the top. Also, the new (white) light has a ridge down the center as well as one recessed area down each side that apparently originally contained a chrome colored stripe each.
HPIM0621.jpg

When viewed from the front the new unit is slightly taller and as mentioned before slightly wider.
HPIM0622.jpg

Once disassembled I found that the new (to me) unit was actually painted white at the factory. The only surviving parts of the two chrome stripes mentioned above go all the way past where the lenses sit inside the body.
HPIM0623.jpg

And here are the two different units disassembled. The major difference between the two is that the new unit's body is a single casting while the old one is two pieces held together with machine screws. The lenses are the only other difference, the new ones are slightly larger to fit into the taller body. All of the other parts are the same.
HPIM0624.jpg

HPIM0625.jpg

Alas, after close scrutiny neither light had any maker's markings on them, so for at least the time being it will have to remain a mystery. I think I'm going to chemically remove the paint to see what condition the metal is underneath. Can anyone recommend a (paint) stripper?

BOB

*EdC*

Hi Bob,
Good score! Saw those cleats too... real nice. The light is from around 1965. The '65 Westfield had them. For some reason MFG coated them (chock and cleats too) white. Maybe it was a cost saving thing, as opposed to chrome. I am also finding, that MFG coated some of their aluminum extrusions with a silver (mill) finish. I've been polishing the rub rails for my '68 and the coating is every where. Real bugger to get off too. Don't know if they had powder coating then, kinda seems like it though.:confused: I didn't try a chemical stripper, Aluminum does weird things with other chemicals. Just been using sand paper and compound. Sand or media blasting might work, if it's fine enough. Once it's clean you could just polish it up! Good luck

cpj2009

Cadet

hey guy's here's my cleats from my 63 edinboro custom there is some white coating on them ed talked about. i have all but one cleat the one in front on the pic.the bow light was gone to bummer:confused:

Attachments

• 0.JPG
    0.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 0

bhammatt

Cadet

I think those cleats were powder coated aluminum castings. My 1960 Oxford had some that I cleaned up and had re coated and they came out quite nice. Tried to look up what I paid but a couple of years ago but my Quicken program is letting me down. Perhaps it is being kind and is not letting me remember.