MFG Celeron 1959 cleanup project

dcollicott

Cadet
It's not a restoration, as it's in pretty decent condition, and it's hardly a "project" compared to what some of you folks are involved in, but I was recently given responsibility for my Father-in-law's 1959 MFG Celeron and am working to clean it up for regular use with my family.

One picture is attached below; more pictures are on Flikr.

So far I have been using it out on Northport Bay, which is off of Lake Michigan's Grand Traverse Bay, and on Lake Leelanau, which are both in the northern part of Michigan's Lower Peninsula, near Traverse City. However, I will be bringing it down to southern Michigan this fall for some fun closer to home.

Some of its finer points are:

• Many of the optional extras offered by MFG at the time, including floor boards, windshield, folding rear seat back and vinyl seat and seat-back cushions.
  • Original steering and Johnson Ship Master controls.
  • Original 1959 Johnson Super Sea Horse 35 HP motor that still starts the first time.
  • Replacement windshield that is very close to the original (I can see the original windshield's shape on the deck). It was made by Taylor, as the original was, and even has the slight bubble shape.
  • Rub rail, transom, fiberglass hull and seats are all in great condition.

So far, I have done this work:

• Cleaned out the remains of mouse nests from under the bow deck. This includes replacing the urine-saturated flotation and scrubbing the insides down with ammonia.
  • Cleaned out years of dirt and grime from the floor of the hull by removing floorboards and giving it a good scrubbing.
  • Organized and re-mounted electrical wiring and returned the lights to working condition.
  • Removed the cushions and stored them in a safe place, to be brought out for display uses only.

This work still remains:

• Strip and refinish the bow deck, as the urine from the mouse nests has stripped part of it down to bare wood.
  • Give the motor a good tune-up and inspection, inside and out.
  • Strip and refinish all other wood. Other than the bow deck, the wood is doing fine and this will be the bottom on the priority list.

Attachments

• IMG_1292.JPG
    IMG_1292.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

pduquette

Ensign
Re: MFG Celeron 1959 cleanup project

WOW!! dcollicott she is fabulous !! what a find . Thanks for shareing the pictures with us , and glad to hear you will have her in top shape . peter

dcollicott

Cadet

More than a year later...

The motor was overhauled and running nice. According to my GPS, she goes 25MPH on her own and 20MPH with one of my sons on a tube.

This past spring I spent a weekend up north stripping and sanding the wood, hoping to do a simple refinishing. However, I discovered that the 1/4" plywood that covers the bow was damaged all the way through. Years of mouse urine (before the care of the boat became my job) did the deed. As a result, I've been talking to various woodworkers and boat shops about what wood I should get as a replacement. In the Spring of 2011 I will go back up north for another weekend to do that replacement. The rest of the wood, which is thicker and in fantastic condition, will also be refinished.

I'm not sure the rub rail will come off in one piece. It's pretty brittle after all these years, but we'll see.

More pictures will come as it happens.

pduquette

Ensign

Great to hear from you again ! If you can detail the work progress we'd apreciate it! The older wood-top models are more rare here , and others may find it usefull . Thanks for stopping back . peter

dcollicott

Cadet

That's a good idea. Actually, this project has made be consider creating a Web site where people can detail, over time and with pictures, their boat restoration projects.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Well, either way, I would love to see the progress and updates with photos here. I love MFGs

bobhager4

Recruit

I have either a 1958 or 9 MFg. Does yours have a serial number ? The maroon rub rail is very similar to 3/4 inch rubber hose that can be purchased at home depot. You will need about 36 ft. What type of nails or screws are you going to use to secure your new deck.
Thanks, Bob H.

dcollicott

Cadet

A year has come and gone and our last baseball game was last night, so I'm back on this project. More "before" pictures are available, and pretty soon some "after" pictures, at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcollicott/sets/72157621048403453/with/3703815281/.

The latest is that the bow cap (1/4 ply) was too far gone to refinish, so it has to be replaced. When I removed that I discovered some damage and a little rot in the framework under the bow, and decided I would refinish all the wood on the boat. My Father-in-law told me about the previous owners, a couple of his cousins, once tried to go through a culvert and found out the hard way that the boat was too big for it. Perhaps this was the incident that caused the damage I found.

On the way north to the Leelenau Peninsula (MI) for the July 4th week I bought a sheet of 1/4 marine ply (Okume) at L. L. Johnson (a fantastic lumber yard) in Charlotte, MI. Also stopped at West Marine in Grand Rapids, MI, to get some Schooner Gold varnish and 333 Brushing Liquid. When I got to the farm and gave the receipt to my Father-in-law he looked at it and said, "Forty-eight bucks for a gallon of varnish?" I said, "No, that's for a quart, and I bought two of them." He looked at my wife and said, "Your husband is killing me." I waited a day before giving him the receipt for the $95 piece of plywood.

I started varnishing the several pieces of wood I remembered to bring north (I forgot the gunwale strips and the dashboard), and while each coat of varnish was drying I worked on cutting the new plywood to the shape of the old. By the end of the week I had all 6 coats of varnish on the transom and other pieces of wood, and 2 on the plywood for the bow cap. They all look beautiful, and Father-in-law is happy and feels he's getting his money's worth.

Bringing the boat back home was an experience because first a wheel decided to start wobbling due to loose lug nuts, then later I looked in the mirror and saw pieces of tire tread flying in the air (probably a 40 year old tire). Fortunately, the tire kept its air and we limped into Cadillac, MI, and happily discovered the Wal-Mart auto center - the only place in town open after 5pm on a Saturday - had right tire in stock. An hour later we were back on the road. Now it's back home and safe in a friend's garage, and I'm getting to work on the wood I forgot to take north. I also still need to shop for new floatation billets for under the bow and a rub-rail.

I'm a bachelor next week because wife and kids are going on trip, so I anticipate completion of this project by Friday, July 20.

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have a real classic there and it looks like you'll have it back in great shape soon. I like the part "woody" boats with the warmer look. They do require more maintenance obviously than the all glass versions like mine but that wood really adds to the charm of the old boats.

You were very fortunate to get a boat of that vintage in the condition it's in. It will always be a great conversation piece!

Looking forward to more photos.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

First, I want to commend you for offering updates in this several-years-ongoing project. I notice I replied to this some time ago, and was pleased to see the updates. All too often someone posts a new high-flying project with scads of descriptions and hopes and plans and then it peters out in a month or so and I never see anything updated again. Kudos, and thank you.

Second, as you know already, that is an awesome boat and I am proud of your dedication and workmanship and follow-through for your father-in-law. There has been a sweet spot in my heart since childhood for varnished out boats. On a boat that size the marriage of MFGs fiberglass hull and all its strength and light weight coupled with wood decks and brightwork seems nearly perfect.

Third, for a suggestion or two: I would service/re-pack your wheel bearings for safe travels. Additionally, I have found the tires from Northern Tool which are rated "Load range C" are much more durable and not nearly as likely to shred the casings as the Load Range "B" tires that most vendors stock.

Good luck with the continuing care of your tremendous example of a classic, timeless boat!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking vessel dc ! The wood transom and deck cap look great. This might be a stupid question but have you ever seen a lapstrake fiberglass hull painted or stained to make it look like wood ?

dcollicott

Cadet

Mark, thanks for the idea on the trailer bearings. Actually, I'd like to replace the trailer, but until then, I should do what you suggest. I think the trailer is a bit large for this boat. It was purchased on a moment's notice form other family members in the 1970's, and I'm guessing they grabbed whatever trailer they could, said "close enough," and went with it.

I have it back south now, and the evenings down here are about 10 degrees warmer than they were when I was getting a lot done up north, so I haven't got much done on it. There was also no "honey do" list up north. I hear today's high is supposed to be only 82, so hopefully this evening will be productive.