Meteorite, Meteor, oooor ?

fishrdan

Admiral
OK, this is a strange one. I as driving out to no-where Utah this evening when the sky lit up like day light,,, it was 12 midnight! I thought I was seeing things (too much coffee, not enough sleep) when I glanced over my shoulder and saw a red/orange trail streaking down to earth. The trail was miles (20-50?) long and looked like it probably touched down, I'm guessing somewhere around Zion NP or Cedar City, UT from my perspective.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

It kind of freaked me out for a second (WWIII) but then I realized it was a meteorite,,,, or something else....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Meteorite, Meteor, oooor ?

Yes, I had the same experience about 10 yrs ago when I was plowing a road with a town truck. Everything turned to an orange glow just as you described. I thought I was going crazy however, my co-worker in another truck across town had witnessed the same thing and it gave us something to talk about on our radios!

I found out two days later that it was a meteor (yes, we have slow news people) ;)

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

I saw the same thing about 40 years ago. We were at my aunts cabin on a boy scout camping trip. It looked like someone had a dimmer connected to the sun and slowly turned it to full daylight, and then clicked it off. I think the meteor hit about 20 miles away.

fishrdan

Admiral

The Leonid Meteor shower is occuring.

Ahhhh, so I'm not going crazy :D

I've saw that shower several years ago while night fishing, little zips and pops here and there, but nothing like this one. I could have sworn that thing touched down the way it was looking, but there are other reports that say it popped, I lost sight of it behind the mountains...

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

WOW that was bright!
Very cool!

fishrdan

Admiral

Kind of rattling though... I was doing 75MPH out in the middle of no where, in the "Zone", listening to some tunes, not a soul around,,, and then all the lights came on...

Flash back from an old X-files episode :D

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I understand that meteors are worth more than gold so if you have any idea where it landed, look to recover whatever you can.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I understand that meteors are worth more than gold so if you have any idea where it landed, look to recover whatever you can.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. if I've learned anything from movies and shows like the X-Files, you might luck out and get cool superpowers from it, or you might pick up an alien parasite that will take over your brain. Just ain't worth the risk.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Saw a blip about it on the news this morning. They seem to think that it did touch down, but not sure where at this point. At least it was not revealed. Witnesses stated that they heard a grumble and some say the ground shook. Who knows. There was a video captured of it as it came thought the atmosphere. Pretty cool...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

wow that was way cool...that house security cam really shows how bright i was

about 100 miles from Vegas is a huge meteor strewn field / fall area from some big dog that fell a LONG time ago...metal detector guys go out there and find the iron meteorites........they are worth alot!

google GOLD BASIN METEOR STREWN FIELD

it is near Dolan Springs, Az see map

http://www.meteoritefinder.com/

ps I happen to have a whites MXT metal detector....I would love to find a meteor! next time we go gold searching out that way well hafta find one if we can! ghost towning is fun too.....Im an old fogey at heart!!!!!!!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I've seen them, but not ones that looked like they impacted anywhere near me. The ones that I have seen were just streaks across the horizon. Still pretty impressive, though.

???

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I have seen one in the daytime while driving in northern BC. It really stood out in the daylight, not just the light but the smoke it left behind it.
I think it was smoke anyways :confused::)