Metal shavings in oil...

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last year I had a cracked block on my Mercruiser 120 so I had it replaced with an old block that was just sitting in the mechanic's garage for a few years. After I got it back i took it out on the lake it was having trouble getting up to top speed (sometimes it would pick up and go, and sometimes it would struggle). I still haven't figured it out yet since I don't take it out much but i suspect fuel delivery.

ANYWAY, I was changing the engine oil today and noticed some metal shavings in the oil. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I have never seen metal shavings in any of the engine oil I have drained from the car, boat, motorcycle... How much of an issue is this? Could it caused from the engine struggling to get around the lake?

Thanks for the help.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Metal shavings in oil...

How much of an issue is this? Could it caused from the engine struggling to get around the lake? .

the engine is toast
no metal shavings are acceptable
the oil filter is probably full of metal and on bypass

option 1: pull the engine and take it apart

option 2:
91081031_L.jpg

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

what will option #2 accomplish? Just to verify that the metal shavings came from the boat engine and not just somehow got into the oil drain pan in the garage?

I will not be a very happy camper if this "new" engine is toast after only a year of use.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

what will option #2 accomplish?

Nothing really, but lots of guys like to look at the carnage the oil filter caught.
If you have shavings in the pan that engine is history.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

I think I have to agree; the metal shavings are probably from your bearings. The last time I saw that was many years ago when I was an auto mechanic. That is also probably why you couldn't get up to maximum power. My recommendation is that you pull the engine and look for another short block. It you want to rebuild this engine, I'd suggest you first flip it over on a stand (after you drain the oil), and pull the pan. Then pull off a bearing cap. I think you'll find the bearings are shot and the crankshaft is grooved. Considering how common this blocks are, the cost of resurfacing your crankshft, and probably your camshaft, and then doing an engine job is too costly. Pick up a rebuilt block or, if you want, a good used truck block. Change the head gaskets and freeze-out plugs and transfer all the extremities and you'll be ready to go. Sorry for the bad news. Good luck. Hy

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, I cut open the oil filter but didn't see any metal shavings stuck in the filter. there were a few drops of oil left in the filter so i dumped it out and put a magnet to it and saw the metal shavings moving around in it. The oil almost looks like metallic paint the shavings are so small.

I guess I will just take it back to the mechanic and see what he can do for me. Thanks for the bad news, I guess. haha

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Sure sounds like bearing and crankshaft material.