Mercury XR6 150

Charger_

Cadet
02 Mercury XR6 150 carb engine

rebuilt carbs - needle/seat/gaskets
rebuilt fuel pump / new fuel line
new plugs /gapped
new water pump /stats / poppet relief valve

When I throttle up the boat never planes out. Outboard never dies. Just falls flat. Like it has no power / or lack of. Thought it was a fuel / carb related but issue still persist. Hub is not spun.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression test.----Post actual values here.-----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads ?

Charger_

Cadet
According to CDI, stator ohms reading on one sheet is 380-430, other sheet 660-710. Which is correct?

Stator: 429 ohms 221V

Trigger: P/B 896 ohms 4.9V
W/R 1082 ohms 6.3V
B/Y 1155 ohms 6.3V

Good spark able to jump 7/16 gap on all CDMs. Cylinder compression is in the 130's and within 10%.

No diagnostic port to pull any fault codes. So basically, I have to throw parts at it.

Trigger/Timing base is sending a pulse signal to the control module to release volts to the coils. I would think it's a bad trigger considering ohms /volts test.
Leads (white/green green/white) coming off the stator go to the wire harness which feeds each coil. Trigger could still be good. There could be a fault in the IGN but stator leads go straight to the coils. That control module stores up DC, correct?

Any further guidance or any additional testing to confirm component is indeed at fault would be appreciated.

Charger_

Cadet
Stator and Trigger - Are they within specs?

Can you test the control module input/output?

Do I need to get a CDM wire harness to test inline?

Charger_

Cadet
Anyone able to provide any insight to the questions or have experienced this issue?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, open the idle mixture screws on the carbs to richen them a bit and see if that helps with acceleration.

Charger_

Cadet
idle mixture screws do nothing more than help with idle. They're set 1 1/2 turns out +-1/2.

Dukedog

Captain
stator and/or control module... ya need ta get cdi ta decide which stator ohms are right.. never heard of a stator for same motor having 2 different values???
faz, tha pumpers (wmh's) were 1 year only.. tha '91' models.. they (accel. pump) went away in '92... so unless someone did some changin' it won't have 'em............. jmo.

Last edited:

Charger_

Cadet
According to CDI, Trigger specs 1100-1400 ohms / 4+V

Trigger: P/B 896 ohms 4.9V
W/R 1082 ohms 6.3V
B/Y 1155 ohms 6.3V

Peek volts check out, just low ohms output. Signal is coming from the trigger. If it's not firing at the TDC, would having a bad trigger cause this issue OR is this more a symptom of a bad timing control module?

Dukedog

Captain
i'll jus sit in tha truck on this one... thats jus one of tha reasons we almost always thru tha "electronic" junk in tha trash and changed ta switch box ign..... but if any part is not in spec with sw box or electronic ign. i'd say its bad................... jmo

Charger_

Cadet
Can the ign output be tested for specs OR is that where the CDM test harness comes into play?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You don’t by any chance have a prop on it that’s meant for the larger gearcase size..that every other 150 usually has…I have it in my head that maybe this could be one of the xr models that oddly have the smaller size. Wrong prop might be causing issues. Could be wrong

Charger_

Cadet
Prop is a Ballistic 3 blade. No other markings found that tells the pitch. Don't believe that is the problem. If I was unable to reach max speed then that would be related to prop pitch/size.

Posted two images/sheets. Both have different specs for ohms resistance for stator. Which one is correct? OR since ohms varies due to temp, is volts the more accurate/leading test?

Trigger considered bad when it does not pass both ohms/volts test?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230711-174442.png
    Screenshot_20230711-174442.png
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230711-174806.png
    Screenshot_20230711-174806.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 3

Dukedog

Captain
one is an OEM spec and tha other is a CDI spec.... you chose.
you might call CDI and ask which one they recommend!!!

Last edited:

Charger_

Cadet
I can see/know the difference between OEM/CDI. Both sheets list different specs. Both t/s doc is from CDI, so it should be the same across the board not different specs depending on what page you look at.

Dukedog

Captain
I can see/know the difference between OEM/CDI. Both sheets list different specs. Both t/s doc is from CDI, so it should be the same across the board not different specs depending on what page you look at.
is your stator a cdi or oem merc?.. its not tha first time a CDI product had different specs compared to a Merc oem part.. your cdi sheet also gives ya an ohm spec for a trigger but tha oem says no... go figure.. call cdi!... justa another reason (not main one) we almost always threw tha "electronic" junk in tha trash and went with switch box stuff.. good luck and hope ya get it figured out.................