Mercury vs. Honda vs. Yamaha

Lundman A-14

Cadet
I am thinking about the possibility of upgrading in boats from my 2010 A-14 Lund to maybe a 2012 or 2013 Lund Fury 1400 that is rated for 25 to 30 HP,...it would be the tiller model,BTW! Of the three motors I mentioned,which one do you think would perform best? The Mercury? The Honda? Or the Yamaha? I know both the Mercury and Honda are 3 cylinder designs and the Yamaha is only a 2 cylinder design. The 25 HP Mercury has EFI,...the other two are carbureted. Which would you choose and why?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury vs. Honda vs. Yamaha

The Mercury because it has 3 cylinders and EFI.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I would choose a Tohatsu or Merc 25 HP 2 strokes and pass it to 30 HP for peanuts cost if still available in your area assuming you don't have tech issues being more noisier, polutant, consumes more gas than a 4 strokes.

Happy Boating

Lundman A-14

Cadet

I would choose a Tohatsu or Merc 25 HP 2 strokes and pass it to 30 HP for peanuts cost if still available in your area assuming you don't have tech issues being more noisier, polutant, consumes more gas than a 4 strokes.

Happy Boating

Seriously doubt that the outboards you mention,...the 25 HP Merc or Tohatsu two strokes,..are still available in my area! Yeah,the older two strokes would probably be cheaper if they were still available,but I don't want a trail of blue smoke behind me anymore,...which is why I went to four strokes. My present boat has a 15 HP Yamaha four stroke which is nice,but why a back up manual rope start did not come on this motor is beyond me,...it has electric start,which I like,but
no rope start as back up! Though not a big fan of Mercury,I guess I could give them one more chance if I upgrade and get their 25 HP four stroke over the other two. Tohatsu motors are not that common around here,...but you do see a LOT of Mercs,Hondas,and Yamahas! You will see an E-TEC Evinrude once in a great while,...but not often.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Mercury is a Tohatsu and is the best of three labels.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I am thinking about the possibility of upgrading in boats from my 2010 A-14 Lund to maybe a 2012 or 2013 Lund Fury 1400 that is rated for 25 to 30 HP,...it would be the tiller model,BTW! Of the three motors I mentioned,which one do you think would perform best? The Mercury? The Honda? Or the Yamaha? I know both the Mercury and Honda are 3 cylinder designs and the Yamaha is only a 2 cylinder design. The 25 HP Mercury has EFI,...the other two are carbureted. Which would you choose and why?

When given the choice, always go with fuel injection over carburetor. They are way more fuel efficient and much less prone to flooding, stalling etc.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You should check out the Evinrude 25 or 30 hp.Etec direct injected 2 stroke meet or exceed all CARB requirements.
No break in period,no service for 3 years or 300 hours. 25 hp 31.6 mph on a Starcraft 16ft 280lb boat with 2 men gas and gear.
Special trolling setting.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

WOW I guess I am getting old. Personally I like the smell of burt 2 cycle oil in the early morning taking out on a smooth lake. It is much like burt gunpowder being shot in the early morning too. The memories from those smells are great in my mind, but to each their own.

Lundman A-14

Cadet

Can't believe that Honda and Yamaha hasn't moved to EFI on their 25 HP outboards yet,....Mercury,Nissan,and Tohatsu has had it on their 25 and 30 HP motors since at LEAST 2006,I believe.In any case,if I DO the upgrade to that Fury 1400,
looks like I will be going back to Mercury. They're the only four stroke outboard in the 25 to 30 HP range that have a manual rope start as back up where the others don't! The Merc,Nissan,and Tohatsu are basically the same engines I understand!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If going for Merc 25 or 30 EFI horses, check Tohatsu same, will cost less, both have recoil starters as back up too. Don't know about Merc 25 & 30, but Merc 20 has water intake screen under cav plate which needs a special ear muff to fit. Tohatsu has standard double water intakes at lower leg sides and much friendly to flush after use.

Happy Boating

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

WOW I guess I am getting old. Personally I like the smell of burt 2 cycle oil in the early morning taking out on a smooth lake. It is much like burt gunpowder being shot in the early morning too. The memories from those smells are great in my mind, but to each their own.

The smell of burnt 2 cycle oil in the early morning as you put it takes me back to a happier time too. But it also takes me back to a time when I had all day if I needed it to tinker and mess with the carb, plugs and wires to keep the engine purring. I must be getting old because now I much prefer the fuel injected models and all the reliability and economy that come with them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I like to buy American,But anymore American can mean Mexico or anywhere in any country that ends in AMERICA??
South America included.
Check the dealer and ask where the American motor was made?
Tohatsu guy says the Mercs are made overseas???
Mercury used Yamaha blocks on some of their bigger motor??
The design and engeneering by Mecury.I've always like them? Lots of parts and repair shops around if I can't figure it out???

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The Mercury 30 hp and down are made by Tohatsu in Japan. The next size range (40-60...Maybe through 90) for Mercury are made in China at a Mercury owned plant. The rest are made in the U.S.

Evinrude from 15 hp down are made by Tohatsu in Japan. The rest are made in the U.S.

Lundman A-14

Cadet

The Mercury 30 hp and down are made by Tohatsu in Japan. The next size range (40-60...Maybe through 90) for Mercury are made in China at a Mercury owned plant. The rest are made in the U.S.

Evinrude from 15 hp down are made by Tohatsu in Japan. The rest are made in the U.S.

Will most likely go with the Mercury due to the convenience of their multi-function tiller handle vs. the Nissan and Tohatsu that have separate shift levers.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Mercury motors 75 HP and up are made in the USA. The Merc. you're thinking of getting will be a good motor, cause like was said, it's a Tohatsu. They are a proven design..

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Good choice. You'll be amazed at how much smoother the fuel injected motors are than the ones with carburetors are too.

Lundman A-14

Cadet

Good choice. You'll be amazed at how much smoother the fuel injected motors are than the ones with carburetors are too.

Well,...after much thought,...I have now decided against the EFI Mercury! Judging from past experience with Mercury,...I just don't feel I can trust them anymore. The Yamaha may be a carbureted motor,but I have decided to stay with Yamaha for many reasons,...1. I already have one on the present boat and it has served me well,...2. Yamaha's reputation for reliability,...3. It has features Mercury doesn't have such as the flush attachment you can use to flush the motor without having to start the engine,. 4. Ease of service,..and 5.Yamaha's reputation for constant innovations and improvement on their products,...along with high customer satisfaction! I might add that the Yamaha on the present boat REPLACED a Mercury as well,...and for good reason! I feel I have now made an even better choice to stay with Yamaha,...biggest reason being reliability!

Last edited:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before even asking the question. Best of luck with the new motor and many happy days boating..

Lundman A-14

Cadet

Sounds like you already had your mind made up before even asking the question. Best of luck with the new motor and many happy days boating..

Not entirely,...as I had thought about giving Mercury one last chance,...but after reflecting on past experience and past problems with them,...I decided "No,I better not,because I know sure as hell the first moment I have trouble with it,I'll be back to the dealer looking to repower back to another brand of motor,...be it Yamaha,Honda,Suzuki,or whatever,...so I'll stick with Yamaha and be done with it if I go ahead with the upgrade!" Mercury already had three strikes against them with me anyway,so I vote "No" on Mercury and stick with Yamaha!

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer

I bought my Dad a 9.9 Mercury 2-stroke, probably 8 or 10 years ago, and it has been a fine motor. I would be very comfortable buying a smaller tiller style Mercury. And I really really like the throttle + shift on the twist grip, you can fish with one hand and control the motor (gear shifting and throttle) with the other. No need to reach back for levers. That said, if you must go 4-stroke, go with as many cylinders as you can. I just got a little 6HP Tohatsu 4-stroke single cylinder (about 8 hours on it so far) and it gets the job done, and barely uses any gas, but WOW does it shake a lot! At about 1/3 throttle the whole boat is shaking like one of those massager toys they sell at Brookstone. That part was really a let down as compared to the 1967 6HP 2-cylinder 2-stroke Johnson that it replaced. I hope the larger 4-stroke tiller motors have counter balancers. My 50HP Honda (3-cylinder) is butter smooth, so I know it can be done!