Mercury suddenly dies at full throttle?!?

catchesbass

Cadet
I have a 1996 Mercury 115 ELPTO that runs perfectly. The problem is that when I am running at full throttle the engine suddenly dies. It doesn't sputter at all. It just dies. Then I can fire it right back up and it will do the same thing again. It does feel like it wants to go faster for the short time it stays at full throttle before it dies. It will only run at full throttle for a few seconds before it dies. Any ideas? It was just serviced a couple of months ago and no problems were found. I really need to get this squared away ASAP. It is tournament season. Thankx to all for any help you can provide.

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: Mercury suddenly dies at full throttle?!?

If you pump bulb does it help?

catchesbass

Cadet

There is no way to pump it at the right time because it just dies with no warning. I can't get anyone to ride back there and pump it for me cause when it dies after running 50mph it is a pretty sudden stop. But the bulb pumped up and held pressure before i launched the boat. Also, it fires right back up with no hesitation. i am dumbfounded.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

have you tried cleaning/replacing all your fuel filters?

catchesbass

Cadet

It was just in the shop having everything checked out. That is part of their service. When it dies-it dies. Like someone hit the kill switch. Then starts right back up and runs fine until full throttle. Then it runs for a few seconds and dies again. They did take the throttle assembly apart to fix the trim switch. Is it possible that they messed up the kill switch? But if that is the case, why would only die at full throttle? I'm baffled.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe the kill switch wire has been caught in the throttle cam when the control box was reassembled, this wire may be shorting to earth when the lever is moved to its full extent. It would be easily done, those controls can be awkward to reasemble. You may have to drop it back to the shop

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree with whaley.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

My merc used to do that. I mean it would cut out instantaneously, no way you could do something to save it. I thought the kill switch was suspect, but it turned out to be a switchbox that was getting hot and just would crap out at XXX degrees. But it's probably the kill switch.

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1975 Merc 850 does the exact same thing. It's been driving me nuts since last summer. I don't have a kill switch and suspect the switch box.

Tom Bixler

Recruit

Mine did that exact thing for a while (seemed to happen most right when a little wave action occured). It was so sudden and complete I was sure it was electrical. Turned out to be water in the carb bowl. carb cleanout, new gas line, new gas tank...never happened since.

catchesbass

Cadet

I am kind of leaning toward the wire in the throttle control box. When I first got rid of the frustration and cleared my head enough to actually think about it, I first thought of the kill switch. And since the control assembly has recently been disassembled, I am leaning that way. The motor just runs too well otherwise. It does have a little hesitation right at the bottom end, but it hasn't been run in a while. The carbs may have a little buildup or the gas may have a little water in it. The boat was kept outside before I bought it. But a little rubbing compound, polish, wax, carpet, and seats and it looks near new. Sharp boat. I just need to fix this engine issue before I go insane. I would really like to see how this performs on the top end. This is my first fiberglass bass boat after having several aluminum boats. Amazing difference. This boat handles like a sports car! Gotta love a Skeeter! Plus, it is kind of neat to know that the boat was built just a few minutes up the street.

catchesbass

Cadet

Well, it turns out that everything checks out fine. The shop can't figure it out either. They have it now so they can take it to the lake and run it themselves. Hopefully I will find something out on Monday.