Mercury Speedo question

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2003 90 hp classic with factory gauges. This year when I put my boat in, the quicksilver 65mph speedo did not work.

Was not the pick up tube or the speedo tube. Gauge was done.

Anyway, tried to fix it by taking gauge apart. Got it too work but was off by about 10 mph.

Bought a new gauge and looked inside it. The copper tube was flat in the new gauge and the gauge that was toast, the copper tube was distended.

This tells me that water froze in the there.

I'm in canada with temps where my boat is stored able to reach -35 farenheit.

Any suggestions on how to avoid buying a new gauge again? Any way to drain it?

Is water supposed to make it into the gauge?

Might just pull the gauge at end of season.

Tx.

Joe

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Speedo question

To get water all the way up to the gauge would require a leak at the gauge. Water enters the tube just a short distance at the back of the boat. It then compresses air trapped in the line which causes the gauge to read. Water cannot flow all the way to the gauge because the system is closed. I suppose if the boat was stored with very steep bow down attitude a little water could dribble up there but that would really be a stretch. I don't think your gauge died because of freezing. If you are concerned about damaging the gauge, pull the tube off the back when you store it. Your first trip out in the spring will be a reminder to hook the tube back up because your feet would get wet as water poured from the tube.