Mercury Saltwater 125 Classic 25in. Shaft Motor

FishbugII

Recruit
I need to know how these motors are before I buy it.<br /><br />Dependable? Any problems? Do you have one, if so, do you like it's performance? should I not fool with a carburated Merc, if so why?<br /><br />Anything anyone can tell me about the 125 salt merc would be super outstanding!!!<br /><br />Thanx<br /><br />Bash

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury Saltwater 125 Classic 25in. Shaft Motor

I have a 90 h.p. Mercury Saltwater Classic. It's a good motor. Have had a few problems getting the carbs. tuned just right, but it seems fine. It's quite quiet for a 2 stroke, and my 90 hp is much easier on gas than I could ever have imagined. I don't know about the 125. My mechanic, who I trust a great deal, says the new Saltwater Classics are probably the toughest, most durable motors Mercury has ever made. This said, I've only had mine since February. <br /><br />Oh, I did suck up about 4 lbs. of sand and had to get a new impeller. Incidently, my dealer has taken care of the carb problem under warranty, and have said they will continue to do so if I am not happy.<br /><br />Another thing: there are many fishing guides in this great state of Louisiana. On a recent trip to Grand Isle, I took note of what the guides were using. It was split about 50/50 between Yamaha's and the Saltwater Mercs. Since these guys make a living with their boats, I think that is a good indication of Merc. and Yamaha quality. Good luck.