Mercury remote 881170A15

I have an 1988 Mercury 70hp 2 stroke and recently purchased a Mercury remote control #881170A15 and installed. It’s an 8 pin plug and it plugged up fine. Everything works great accept the tilt and trim. When I press the trim up and down all I get is the click from the solenoids. Both solenoids are new and the pump is fine (new). I can only assume it’s a problem in the wiring in the remote. Can anyone help?

alldodge

Staff member
Think of the trim system as having 2 power systems.

1 is between the handle and the relay coils. This side energizes the relays but does not actually power the pump

2 is between the pump and the higher power relay contacts. This side takes Battery power and connects it to the pump

Side 1 is working so current problem is not in the handle or relay coils. The problem is on side 2. Check the main connections between Bat and relays (larger wires) for corrosion. Use a meter and measure voltage at the trim pump when trim is pressed

The pic is for an Evinrude but note how its wired
Evin Trim.jpg

Think of the trim system as having 2 power systems.

1 is between the handle and the relay coils. This side energizes the relays but does not actually power the pump

2 is between the pump and the higher power relay contacts. This side takes Battery power and connects it to the pump

Side 1 is working so current problem is not in the handle or relay coils. The problem is on side 2. Check the main connections between Bat and relays (larger wires) for corrosion. Use a meter and measure voltage at the trim pump when trim is pressed

The pic is for an Evinrude but note how its wired
View attachment 364794
So is it the blue and green wires coming directly from the pump to the up and down solenoids that power it?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
How many wires on the PTT motor? Solenoids only work with 3 wire (blue, green, black) PTT motors.

Newer PTT motors often have only 2 wires. They need relays and some changes in wiring to work.

alldodge

Staff member
In the pic above, note the Red wire coming from the Bat. Look for large red or red/purple wire. This will go to one connection on each relay. Need to see if it has 12V (need a voltmeter)

How many wires on the PTT motor? Solenoids only work with 3 wire (blue, green, black) PTT motors.

Newer PTT motors often have only 2 wires. They need relays and some changes in wiring to work.
There are only 2 , BLUE and GREEN then a green/white and blue/white to solenoids

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, you need relays and a new wiring harness for that PTT motor to work with your engine. A lot of 2 wire PTT motors come with those as a kit.

Solenoids provide power to the PTT motor when energized, and are open when not energized.

Relays provide power to the PTT motor when energized, and provide ground to the motor when not energized.

Well, you need relays and a new wiring harness for that PTT motor to work with your engine. A lot of 2 wire PTT motors come with those as a kit.

Solenoids provide power to the PTT motor when energized, and are open when not energized.

Relays provide power to the PTT motor when energized, and provide ground to the motor when not energized.
Any idea what I look for?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
This is what you need, it has the relays which are $20 ea. I expect it to be quite common, as this was the first item on a gross search.

This is what you need, it has the relays which are $20 ea. I expect it to be quite common, as this was the first item on a gross search.

Thank you so much! You have been a big help!