Mercury Optimax Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgpr

Cadet
OK, one of my engine's alarm is going off. It's a 2001 Mercury Optimax 150hp. after driving for a few minutes a constant beep goes off. This happens at high rpms only, over 3500. If I'm going slow it won't do it. It cuts power to the engine too and drops the rpms. I've research and one of the options I found was overheating but this is not the case. The temperature is fine and I can reset the alarm but just restarting the engine. It will drive ok for a few minutes and then starts beeping again. The other option I read about was an oil problem, apparently this can also trigger this alarm, but i really have no idea where to start looking. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. Thnak you.
Ed.

Jake.

Seaman
Re: Mercury Optimax Alarm

Constant beep is the overheat alarm. If the engine is not actually overheating you need to diagnose the problem with the sensor/alarm. Check the FAQs for the manual for your engine. The diagnostic procedure is in the manual. Good luck.

edgpr

Cadet

Don't know where3 to start. There is A LOT of information in the manual and the more I research the problem, the more different possibilities I find. I'm kind of overwhelmed here.

edgpr

Cadet

OK, a mechanic looked at the motor and said that in fact was overheating at high rpms. he said it may need flushing, that maybe there is some sand in the cooling passages. How do i do this? Witht he flushing kit thru the port in the rear of the engine? I heard I can also remove the thermostat and run the engine at idle?

Masinc

Seaman Apprentice
OK, one of my engine's alarm is going off. It's a 2001 Mercury Optimax 150hp. after driving for a few minutes a constant beep goes off. This happens at high rpms only, over 3500. If I'm going slow it won't do it. It cuts power to the engine too and drops the rpms. I've research and one of the options I found was overheating but this is not the case. The temperature is fine and I can reset the alarm but just restarting the engine. It will drive ok for a few minutes and then starts beeping again. The other option I read about was an oil problem, apparently this can also trigger this alarm, but i really have no idea where to start looking. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. Thnak you.
Ed.
I am not a marine tech so this is just a thing i had with my optimax…. oil level sensor is failed and tells guardian strategy that it is low…. i kept going and just let it beep. It calculates residual time of consumption and reduces to idle. Removed plug from tank sensor and jumpered the two wires and back in business. So now the hood comes off before and after each outing to visual check oil….cant afford to buy a new powerplant due to running it out of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.