Mercury Force Cylinders

airness

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
2
I recently forgot to put oil in my 2-stroke mercury force 120 hp engine (1998 I believe)... needless to say I burned it up within 10 minutes. A boat repair place told me 3 of my cylinders were "shot"... They quoted my $3.5k to fix it.<br /><br />My question is... Is this worth fixing for $3.5k? Does the price seem reasonable? And/or, is this something I can fix myself?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />C. Devore
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: Mercury Force Cylinders

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />I would consider long and hard whether or not to overhaul any Force. That much money may be better spent on a brand that's still available. It's a job for a pro if you decide to go ahead.
 

airness

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
2
Re: Mercury Force Cylinders

I own a 1998 Bayliner (18')... What other engine would you recommend? Do you know where I can find something dependable for less than $5k? I'm assuming it would have to be used.<br /><br />I live in Florida (near Tampa).<br /><br />Thanks.
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: Mercury Force Cylinders

$3500 seems exhorbitantly expensive to me. You might consider picking up a used powerhead or a used engine off ebay. These days if someone runs aground and breaks the prop his local mechanic will be advising him to sell and buy a shiny new motor. If he does, then his powerhead just might end up on Ebay for a few hundred dollars.<br /><br />By outboard standards, used force parts are dirt cheap. Supply and demand. The supply is artificially jacked up right now. It won't stay cheap forever. But for now, it is. So if it were me, I'd be looking for some cheap used stuff and I'd be planning to have my boat back in PWO for well under $1000.
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: Mercury Force Cylinders

A 60 degree 115 Hp Johnson or Evinrude would wake that boat right up. Merc offers a 125, but I'll bet the capacity is 120. The Johnnyrude 60 degree V-4 is a far superior motor to the Merc inline 4s. I think that the 115/60d is the best motor ever built whether it be carbed or Ficht.<br /><br />Look for a Ficht if you can (the carbed ones are great too). They have a bad reputation based on the chronic problems they had with the V-6 models. The V-4 Fichts didn't seem to have those problems. Some people hear about the Ficht reputation and sell cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a V-4. :)
 

turbo.tony

Cadet
Joined
Feb 25, 2006
Messages
12
Re: Mercury Force Cylinders

I'm puttin my '96 back together right now. New crank, four new Wiseco coated pistons AND OEM RODS, new sleeve, etc, full bench porting and full balancing... $1250 with gaskets (my own labor). With labor yours shouldnt be more than $2000. Powerheads on the web are $1800 to $2200, tho you don't get the extra goodies (Boyesen reeds, etc.)...T
 
Top