Mercury Flo-Torq II Locking Tab

How many times can the washer locking tabs be bent before they break? Or is this even an issue when changing props? I would like to have some spares on hand just in case. Anyone know the part number for the locking tab??

alldodge

Staff member
Search "prop locking washer"

I never replaced one but also made sure not to bend the tabs very much in either direction. Bent just enough to remove/install and just 2 tabs. Look where it bends for any kind of cracking or change in appearance

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I think I paid six bucks for a package. I realize they are reusable, but for that cheep price I don't even think about it.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Not expensive and readily availiable, three for 6 bucks at Bass Pro, Also at Walmart in my area..

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There's a couple different size tabs depending on what motor you have. I just picked up a few Quicksilver tabs for $2 each at my local store. I only bend ONE tab and it can go multiple times. You'll know when they're ready to break off.
tab washer .jpg

airshot

Rear Admiral
There's a couple different size tabs depending on what motor you have. I just picked up a few Quicksilver tabs for $2 each at my local store. I only bend ONE tab and it can go multiple times. You'll know when they're ready to break off.
View attachment 383440
To each his own, but I would not trust only one tab being bent. That is all that keeps the nut from backing off that holds the prop on. The material is not that tough and one tab could be forced open thru prop torque. For two bucks.....way to cheap, not to replace in my opinion. Hope you all carry an extra prop nut as well....if dropped, they don't float....not for one second....that comes from experience !!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Never had to replace these, even with frequent prop changes. The latter type is certainly a better design. It’s mainly the actual nut that does all the work and holding though. The nuts are nylock type locking nuts. Nylock nuts like these are officially designed to be single use items. If you’re seeking a professional’s (arse covering) line of advice. Be more crucial to be replacing that after a disturbance. That said..going to this extent, likely means you’ll be supplied with both the nut and the tab. Off the record. The nut usually retains its ability to grip and hold fast, even after a good number of disturbances.

Search "prop locking washer"

I never replaced one but also made sure not to bend the tabs very much in either direction. Bent just enough to remove/install and just 2 tabs. Look where it bends for any kind of cracking or change in appearance
This must be the later style washer, only has two tabs. They have to be bent back flat to get the wrench or socket on the nut. I don't bend them all the way up against the sides of the nut, but leave enough of a gap to get a screwdriver in there for removal. I don't want to run the risk of a tab failing if I need to swap props in the water.

Not expensive and readily availiable, three for 6 bucks at Bass Pro, Also at Walmart in my area..
Thanks, I'll check those places......the local marine shop doesn't carry them and West Marine across the bay said they were out of stock.

Chris51280

Ensign
I never bend them. In 4 years, I haven't lost one yet. Not rely on a little sheet metal tab to hold the nut on. It is extra security, no doubt.

alldodge

Staff member
This must be the later style washer, only has two tabs. They have to be bent back flat to get the wrench or socket on the nut. I don't bend them all the way up against the sides of the nut, but leave enough of a gap to get a screwdriver in there for removal. I don't want to run the risk of a tab failing if I need to swap props in the water.
I only bend "2" of the tabs the others I leave untouched

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The new two tab is far better…whilst I’m at it…can’t speak highly enough of the latest flo torq kit that brilliantly stops prop rattle

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, bend down all the tabs that are in the right position. On the six tab washer, usually 3 are bent down. If you pull the prop for the off season, the tab washer will last at least a decade. Will your prop last that long?

I have installed new tab washers, over the course of 40 years of boating, but not very many, and they are pretty cheap.