Mercury Classic 50 not getting full throttlle?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1987 Merc Classic 50 (45hp). I bought the boat about a year ago. Rebuilt the carbs, changed the fuel lines. Adjusted the carbs. boat only gets up to about 19 mph. Its a 17' bass tracker simi v. by the way. I had the exact same boat model before, and it would get about 25 or so on gps. On investigation. My butterflies are not fully opening at WOT on the stick. I need a manual, or some guidance. What would be the best manual for this specific engine? I should get one anyway.. But, help until then would be greatly appreciated.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Service Manual by Merc is the Best and really the Only one.

Sounds like someone was messing with the Throttle Linkages/cables. With Cowl off, does the Throttle Linkage hit its Stop?

Disconnect the Throttle Cable from the Motor, can the Throttle Linkage be moved permitting the Throttle Plates to open fully?

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
found this shade tree fix. I think its the throttle stop? I have since repaired this piece. I cannot find a OEM manual for this motor anywhere. Thinking about getting one of the seloc manuals, just apprehensive. Don't know for sure it covers this motor, and how well, or if it covers link and sync. That is my next step is to do a link and sync, in think. I bet its all jacked up because of this fix took it back out to the lake, to give it a wirl after the fix, still acts like maybe the timing is retarded on the top end? No power, still wont get on plane. Doesnt seem to be WOT. But, i checked the butterflies, they are wide open when the stick is down. If any body can guide me to a link and sync on this motor, it would be greatly appreciate.

Attachments

• photo331980.jpg
    photo331980.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 2

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is a pic of the fix. I plan on buying the correct part, if this doesnt work out. But seems stout as factory.

Attachments

• photo331982.jpg
    photo331982.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1