Mercury 9.9 lower unit vent hole leakage

CaptTorS

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2013
Messages
23
I bought new seals/washers for both drain& vent holes, when I seem a little oil running down out of vent hole after boating. Put in some more oil til it came out top, using a pump, and put new bolts & washers on, tight. Came back a minute later & oil is running down side again. Anyone know what's wrong? Too much oil? Thanks
 

Mi duckdown

Commander
Joined
Apr 14, 2007
Messages
2,575
Re: Mercury 9.9 lower unit vent hole leakage

make sure there is not any of the old seal/washer stuck on lowerend case. use a small screwdriver or pick and scape it.
 

CaptTorS

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2013
Messages
23
Re: Mercury 9.9 lower unit vent hole leakage

make sure there is not any of the old seal/washer stuck on lowerend case. use a small screwdriver or pick and scape it.

Yes, I made sure, I scraped it out and made sure there was a good clean seat for the washer. How can oil suddenly appear after that? Is there pressure build up when not running?
 

CaptTorS

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2013
Messages
23
Re: Mercury 9.9 lower unit vent hole leakage

I was going to post an update to the situation, but I see that would be pointless
 

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Messages
371
Re: Mercury 9.9 lower unit vent hole leakage

Not much that can be wrong other than what was posted, a bolt in a hole with a seal. I had one the threads were stripped, so it leaked. What did you find?
 

CaptTorS

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 28, 2013
Messages
23
Re: Mercury 9.9 lower unit vent hole leakage

Not much that can be wrong other than what was posted, a bolt in a hole with a seal. I had one the threads were stripped, so it leaked. What did you find?

I haven't found why for sure yet, but I did tighten far tighter than what I felt was necessary or safe, and it did not leak. I really don't think it should have to be that tight.
 

gonogo

Cadet
Joined
Mar 30, 2008
Messages
14
Re: Mercury 9.9 lower unit vent hole leakage

Need to be very tight on new gaskets, they are hard, not soft. On my 9.9 I changed oil once and bought new gaskets, the old looked good so I used them over, no leaks.
 
Top