Mercury 850 took the leg off 1976 thunder bolt

Baz7692

Cadet
Good afternoon two months ago I noticed my motor was not pumping water so went to have a look noticed more water than oil in the lower leg ? Ordered parts from America replaced seals oring put new impeller on and went to put the leg back on to find out I can not get reverse and feels hard to even shift forward ? I have very basic mechanical skills but can’t afford to take it to a boat shop for repair so went on YouTube watched and read forums and came to the conclusion that I should have taken the leg off in reverse . So I took the leg back off put the leg into reverse and the control into reverse but no luck at all saw a picture regarding a cam gear that has to be in a certain position as well on the leg the picture was not that clear but I am just more confused than ever . So if any of you guys have a idea how to make my motor go into its gears I would appreciate it greatly

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Need to understand that clutch dog is spring loaded.-----Remove lower unit.----Put control in neutral.----Rotate shift rod CCW (with pliers ) and find neutral.----Assemble.-----Or use forward and forward.-----Or reverse and reverse.----Forward and forward is best option.-----Just make sure they match as you slide the gearcase up into position.

Baz7692

Cadet
Thanks mate will try in forward and see how I go will give you a update tomorrow

Baz7692

Cadet
Need to understand that clutch dog is spring loaded.-----Remove lower unit.----Put control in neutral.----Rotate shift rod CCW (with pliers ) and find neutral.----Assemble.-----Or use forward and forward.-----Or reverse and reverse.----Forward and forward is best option.-----Just make sure they match as you slide the gearcase up into position.
Ok put the boat leg in forward gear it makes a ratchet sound when in forward ? Then pushed the control forward put the leg on but when I put it in neutral or reverse it remains still in forward any other suggestions that could help me rectify this problem ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The upper and lower shift shafts can easily not line up. On those older motors there is a plastic fitting that holds the upper shift shaft in place. They often fall into the gearcase, around the lower shift shaft. Put it back into the midsection and it will help hold the upper shift.

A needle nose plier can help the shafts to align as well. I do not like to reassemble in forward, as there is a lot of turn in the lower shift shaft. In neutral, the lower shift shaft is held in one position. I find that easier.

Baz7692

Cadet
The upper and lower shift shafts can easily not line up. On those older motors there is a plastic fitting that holds the upper shift shaft in place. They often fall into the gearcase, around the lower shift shaft. Put it back into the midsection and it will help hold the upper shift.

A needle nose plier can help the shafts to align as well. I do not like to reassemble in forward, as there is a lot of turn in the lower shift shaft. In neutral, the lower shift shaft is held in one position. I find that easier.
Ok thanks for the advice will try again in neutral and see how it goes the plastic fitting I have seen and used a touch of grease to hold it in the midsection can seem to get the leg on and line up by turning the fly wheel . So will try needle nose pliers and try it your way something has to work hopefully soon . But thanks to everyone and this forum seems to be a good handy learning tool

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Be advised that the upper shift rod is not held down. It can rise up in the midsection, as it bumps into the lower shift rod. Look under the carbs in the front to see this.

Also, you may need to "bump" the throttle handle a bit to line up the shift shafts. The shift cables are often a bit off from mating the shift levers.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Proceed to the nearest boat repair shop.----They can put the unit up there with shift in the right spot in minutes.-----You can then put the rest of the bolts in.-----If they help you just say you will be a customer from now on !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I like N too as I am sure of what I have with a gear on either side to check my positioning. Having to turn the flywheel vs the prop to line up the drive shaft splines is no biggie for me.

Baz7692

Cadet
Ok thanks for the advice will try again in neutral and see how it goes the plastic fitting I have seen and used a touch of grease to hold it in the midsection can seem to get the leg on and line up by turning the fly wheel . So will try needle nose pliers and try it your way something has to work hopefully soon . But thanks to everyone and this forum seems to be a good handy learning tool
Thanks for your advice will try tomorrow as today in Melbourne is 10 degrees and about to rain hail etc but going to try your way seems to make sense

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, we had 100*F here yesterday. I don't like either of those temps...