mercury 65hp carbs dribbling after running

jbjennings

Captain
I've timed this cursed thing with a dial indicator---you guys were right, it was several degrees off. Shocker, right?! :facepalm:
Now the danged thing is leaking fuel out the throats AFTER it idles for a while on the muffs. I tried some of my other carbs and they do it, too. I'm figuring after multiple float needle settings, that I have the needle arms set perfectly, but the needle is not seating good enough to keep a little fuel from coming in. It's using it all while running, but not when it stops. I can't get fuel to come out squeezing the bulb, but it does after running a while. I've ordered brand new needles and seats and hopefully next year some time I'll have completed this darned thing. I have to say, OMC's are lots easier than these mercs........ you guys that do the mercury motors for a living and a hobby are no doubt outboard experts 1st class! DO you guys think the needles and seats will solve this problem, or do I have something else wrong?
Later,
JBJ

bgc

Ensign
Re: mercury 65hp carbs dribbling after running

Yes, OMC's are easier to work on....but who wants to go boating and not tinker with their motor.....

Two things I found that caused mine to leak;
The measurement gauge Mercury sends with rebuild kit is used resting on gasket surface. My floats were too high causing fuel to flow out.
I use the choke to stop the motor, fuel pukes out..

Try adjusting so the float sit 2-3mm lower in the bowl.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Floats are often over looked, they get heavy and wont seal off the needles.

jbjennings

Captain

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will do. I 've got several floats, and they all do it (of course, they're all old). I would replace but they look ok and I can't hear any fuel in them shaking about.
I love to tinker on mine, but not when the crappie are biting! :)

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reeds could be worn/chipped. At least thats what my service manual says in the trouble shooting section.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well its only dribbling a little bit so yes by all means use the old ones.