Mercury 650 need suggestion and year made please help!!

Galixy5

Recruit
I have a Merc 650 65 HP about a 1975 model I think. It has the blue colored gaskets that seals the engine. I think it has a firing prob. It will only want to act like it is going to start when ignition is in the start position. I thought it might be the rectifier causing the problem. The model number is 4265986. Could someone also tell me the year it was made.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 650 need suggestion and year made please help!!

My chart only goes to 69, (650 1963-66),650s 67,<br />650ss 67-69.<br /> Your problem may be the kill switch or the run position on your switch.On most older outboards<br /> killswitch closes to turn off motor opens to run.<br /> if not original switch may be wrong type or wired wrong.<br /> Hope you have a ser. manual.

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your motor is a 1975 three cylinder. <br />You need to verify that all the cylinders are firing. Pull the plugs and with the spark plug wire attached to the plug, ground the plug to the motor block while someone turns the motor over. You should get a strong blue spark. Have you changed the spark plugs lately?

Galixy5

Recruit

Thank Guys!!! I do have a svc manual which I don't see how anyone could work on one without :) <br /><br />I havn't changed the plugs but will check what you suggested.<br /><br />I will be working on engine tonight after work and will keep you guys posted<br /><br />thanks again!!