Mercury 35 HP Reverse Locking Cam

bobslsc1991

Recruit
I took off my lower unit of my 35 HP Mercury outboard to replace water impellor assembly. In doing so, I took off the Reverse Locking Cam on the shift rod. Now, trying to reassemble the lower unit, what position should my cam be in to reinstall? Also what gear position?IMG_9052.JPG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those cams are supposed to lock the motor down in neutral and reverse, unlocked in forward.

So if you are installing the gearcase in neutral, as you should, set the cam to engage the locking rod about 1/2 way up the cam.

bobslsc1991

Recruit
Those cams are supposed to lock the motor down in neutral and reverse, unlocked in forward.

So if you are installing the gearcase in neutral, as you should, set the cam to engage the locking rod about 1/2 way up the cam.
should the cam's flat spot be in the back when setting? At the 6 o'clock position? When in neutral?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I really don't know. My Mercs of that era were PTT. But a friend of mine had a '73 850. He always cursed when he wanted to pull the boat onto the beach. The motor was in neutral and off, but the motor was locked down.