Mercury 2.2 hp ignition coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckeemm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

I have a 1987 Mercury 2.2 hp s/n A812136. The motor sat in storage for a long time. It worked great the first time out but on the second trip it would not start. Quickly discovered a lack of spark. I measured the coil primary at 5.1K olms and the secondary at 1.5 olms. It seams like the coil primary winding has gone way out of spec. I read on another forum that that the primary should measure 425-575 olms.

It appears that these coils are no longer available Mercury p/n 95242 alternate p/n 95242T. The number on the coil itself is F6T405. It appears to be made by Mitsubushi. From what I've read these motors were made by Tohatsu and sold under Mercury and Nissan brands in North America.

Does anyone know of a source for coils for this motor or an alternate coil that may work?

Thanks, Mark

Hilrixer

Recruit
Hi,

I have a 1987 Mercury 2.2 hp s/n A812136. The motor sat in storage for a long time. It worked great the first time out but on the second trip it would not start. Quickly discovered a lack of spark. I measured the coil primary at 5.1K olms and the secondary at 1.5 olms. It seams like the coil primary winding has gone way out of spec. I read on another forum that that the primary should measure 425-575 olms.

It appears that these coils are no longer available Mercury p/n 95242 alternate p/n 95242T. The number on the coil itself is F6T405. It appears to be made by Mitsubushi. From what I've read these motors were made by Tohatsu and sold under Mercury and Nissan brands in North America.

Does anyone know of a source for coils for this motor or an alternate coil that may work?

Thanks, Mark
Did you figure it out? I'm having the same problem

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This motor type left the factory with different paint colors and decals.----Was sold with different names on the decals.----Do not limit your search to one brand of motor.----Try googling the part # for the coil.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’ve had at least half a dozen of these wee things. Never had an issue with a coil. Always usually something simple. Double check your test procedure first off (if you don’t mind me saying so)…then I’d check the simple things associated. Like plug lead condition.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Ign coil specs are usually nearly a dead short on the primary winding, and a whole lot more resistance on the secondary, but not open. Coils do not often fail. If you have a condenser, that is a prime candidate for replacement. Clean and properly gapped points are critical as is static timing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Folks, read the rules on old threads

Status
Not open for further replies.