Mercury 175 V6 stator coil is dead.

Geshka

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
19
Hello team.

I am the owner of Mercury V6 175HP from 1976 (or close). Motor currently is not in running condition - stator coil is broken. I am checking with tester and it shows open circuit (infinity) between one part of blue and red. There two sides - red to ground and blue to ground - low speed and high speed correspondingly. So low speed coil is open circuit.
Before actually ordering a new one (crazy expensive) I am asking - what are my options here? is anybody tried to rebuild this stator coil ? Is that doable to rewind it ? Any experience would be greatly appreciated.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,969
Get the correct size----MAGNET WIRE-----Count the turns / direction as you remove the wire.------Carefully wind on the new wire.
 

Geshka

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
19
Thanks Racerone. Do you have any specifics, by chance? Whole stator is encased into compound - which coils is which? internal connections , etc....
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,969
Many stators are not encased in compound.-----Your location ?----Perhaps find a good used stator on E-bay.
 

Geshka

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 17, 2011
Messages
19
I am in Canada, Ontario, (which complicates things a fair bit :) ) . I am monitoring E-bay for few weeks already. When I am asking seller to test coils with continuity tester they usually stop talking...
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,969
Try-----King's propeller Repair ----Port Severn Ontario.----Use Google for phone #
 

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
15,938
Make sure of year and stator thickness as wrong stator will rud flex plate on flywheel
 
Top