Mercury 150hp

kevinengland70

Recruit
I have a 150hp Mercury Black Max XR2 no water coming out of pee hole. Took cowling off and there is water leaking out of the gaskets on both sides of motor. Would this prevent water coming out of the pee hole? I have already replaced water pump. I do need to replace the gaskets no doubt. New to these engines so what gasket set would that be called?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 150hp

What is the s/n of your engine so we can send you the parts listing and you can show where it is leaking.

Gerry

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Kevinengland70, I'm assuming you've taken on the challenge of working on your own motor. Before you go any further, you need to purchase the full factory shop manual from Merc. It'll set you back about 100.00 but you will find it worth every penny. If you are offered advice here you won't know if it's correct or not until you get that manual in your hands and read it.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You will have to look at the term stat housings and the 'P' tube coming off the housings. Many of the V6's P tubes source their water AFTER the stat and will not show any stream until the stat begins to open.

Some owners have elected to drill an 1/8 hole thru the flange of each stat to allow for a very small P indicator while the stats are closed, this small flow will only delay the stat opening a few seconds yet still give you a constant, but small, P indicator, which will increase once the stats open. If you choose this option, install the stat with the drilled hole at the 12 o'clock position so to allow air to bleed out, ensuring rapid block filling with water.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

1. There are two gaskets on the exhaust plate. The lower one seals between the mid section and the exhaust plate and the upper between the powerhead and the exhaust plate. Replacing either one requires removal of the powerhead.

2. Water flows through the tell tale whether the thermostats are open or not.

3. The symptoms your describing are similar to those experienced when theres a problem with the connection between the waterpump watertube and the exhaust plate. Assuming that the water tube is not crimped or destroyed by electrolosis, this could be caused by using the wrong sleeve at the pump end or a missing or damaged grommet at the exhaust plate end. Considering that you just changed the water pump I would check for these items first.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like you had the same problem I had. remove the thermostat housing and replace both and there gaskets. Thermostates are causing back pressure when they remain closed and prevent circulating water.

tysdad2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The pee hole on my blackmax gets clogged sometimes due to grass or mud....so I carry some thin wire with me and I stick it up throw the pee hole untill it starts peeing freely again :) hope this helps..

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

i discovered yesterday that my outboard black max 200 hp was not peeing at all. I saw what looked like dried grass in the end of my 5/16 hose which is my pee line. I took it off of the t-fitting and the entire hose was full of brown grass and a worm inside. The t-fitting was full as was the hose coming of the side of the motor right under the cowling rubber seal. Someone said that it was wasps. It wasnt that way a few weeks ago because i used the boat and it was peeing good and good water pressure also. I knew something was wrong when I fired it up and nothing came out and water pressure was not moving. I immediately shut it off and found the stopped up pipe. How can they do all that work in two to three weeks? I have since plugged the hole when not in use.......