Mercury 1500 rev is forward????

sean6634

Cadet
I am a new boater and I have a 1971 16 ft. Avenger with a 150hp merc. 1500 The problem I am having is.... when I put the lever in forward the boat goes backward and in reverse it goes forward. The boat has two throttle cables..One for the lift up choke and the other is for forward and reverse. I just changed the two cables and still having the same problem. Since I changed the cables I also have alot of play in the control box between what should be neutral and reverse. Please help.

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 1500 rev is forward????

When you shift into forward the gear case shifts into reverse, correct? Have you installed a new control box is this the way you bought the boat?

sean6634

Cadet

I just bought the boat and yes that is correct.I bought the boat this way and thought the new cable would make a difference. 4 hours later.nothing :confused:

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it a Mercury control box? Has the lower uint been worked on? If yes somebody could of got the shfit cam installed upside down. When you shift the control box into forward, go take a look at what position the shift cable is in on the engine.

sean6634

Cadet

Yes the shift box is a mercury. I am not sure if the lower unit has been worked on... When the shifter is in the forward position the cable is forward also. By the way thanks for your help. I haven't even had a chance to get the boat wet yet.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you haven't gotten it wet how do you know what direction it's going to go?<br /><br />Has someone changed the prop recently? Left handed prop?(if one exists)

sean6634

Cadet

I've ran the motor plenty in the driveway and put it in gear, forward goes to the left. I'm starting to think it has the wrong prop. I'm think I'm gonna break down and take it to the local wrench. :mad:

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hang on a minute<br /><br />You really need to put it in the water and be sure. It is not a good idea to put a motor in gear on muffs becauseit doesn't have a load on it and can tear up the gear case.<br /><br />A left hand rotation does not necessarily mean reverse although probably. Some motors are made to go forwars to the left.<br /><br />A prop isn't going to change the rotation<br /><br />Now here's what I think happened.<br /><br />Somebody pulled the leg and didn't make sure that the shifter and the gear case were both in the same gear when they put it back on.

sean6634

Cadet

I am about to pull the lower unit to check the shift cam. What gear should the control box be in???????

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forward <br /><br />It is more crucial when you put it back together though. Some guys like it in neutral and some in forward, but the biggest thing is that both the gear case and the shift lever have to be in the same gear when you put it back together

sean6634

Cadet

I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll keep you posted. I'm not quite sure how to check the gear box but I'm sure I'll figure it out. <br /><br />Thanks

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please be sure that that left hand rotation is really not forward for your motor.

sean6634

Cadet

Ok I dropped the lower part of the motor. Is the shift cam right in front of the shaft? a short rod with linkage and if so how do I remove it?

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah that's it<br /><br />You shouldn't need to remove it.<br /><br />Turn it one way and then another and spin the prop to figure out wehat gear your in. Careful not to damge the splines.<br /><br />since you've gone to all of the trouble to pull it, you ought to look at and replace the impeller

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

The shift cam is the deepest part inside the housing behind the propeller and all the gears and stuff. Not easy to get to.<br /><br />On most motors, in reverse, the throttle will be limited, by design. Usually a cam or something blocks full throttle action. So if the throttle actuator is blocked as explained above the linkage at the motor is in reverse. The limiter cam would be loacted within the motor cover.<br />I would imagine the prop would be turning counter clockwise when viewed from behind the boat. That would indicate the controller at fault. If you get it all together and on the water and find it gets full throttle only in reverse and is noticeably limited in forward, suspect the shift cam.<br /><br />There are a few motors that are available with reverse rotation and counterclockwise is considered forward, they require a special left hand prop. And in forward/left-hand rotation, will have the throttle limiter not activated.<br /><br />There are also some controllers that can take multiple cable attachment points allowing for push on handle pulls the cable, visa versa.<br /><br />Check the easy things first. It can also be difficult to reattach the lower unit and have the gears line up correctly. But that will not reverse the actuation.

sean6634

Cadet

Well I broke down and took it in to the local wrench. :( the mechanic said the problem was in the transmission and he was looking at 5 hours of labor to make the boat turn key. Approx. $500.00 Thanks to all of you who took the time to try and help. I'll always return here for my boating needs.........Thanks again

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that the dealer is over charging you. The prop shaft could taken out and inspected in about a hour. FYI a total rebluid would only be 3.8 hours of labor, per the flat rate manual.

sean6634

Cadet

Dts,<br />I am also having the controller rebuilt, and my Hydrailic pump fixed. I tried 3 places and they all wanted over 1000.00 to make the boat key ready.

snaps

Cadet

the problem is very simple, you have a counter rotation leg (left) and a standard prop, that´s it. you must ghange the leg or ghange the prop<br /><br />JJA

sean6634

Cadet

I asked my mechanic about that and he said that wasn't the case. I had no forward gear due to some kind of problem in the transmission. something about a spring that engages the tranny or something like that. I just got the boat and as long as it's all in order now at least I can work on it knowing the there are no parts in backwards or upside down. Take it apart and put it back the way it was. By the way anybody on the west coast know where to find a binimi top at a reasonable price?