Mercury 150 optimax

ChazP

Cadet
I have a 1989 bass tracker 1600tf with a 2011 mercury 150 optimax. I need help figuring out why I’m getting an Overspeed/Over rpm warning. I’m getting the warning at about 3/4 throttle which is about 47-48mph. I had a 17 pitch prop on it at first and then tried a 21pitch prop and still get the warning at 3/4 throttle. I was wondering if I need to up the pitch to 26 or do I have other problems?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Forget the warning, what does the tach read ?? You need to know for sure what RPM your engine is turning !!

ChazP

Cadet
Forget the warning, what does the tach read ?? You need to know for sure what RPM your engine is turning !!
I don’t think the guy hooked the rpm gauge back up to the motor so it dosnt work. I’m going to try messing with it Thursday

airshot

Rear Admiral
Need the tach reading correctly before making any changes or your just guessing !!

ChazP

Cadet
Well yesterday I looked at the boat. All my wires that go to my dash and several other things go to one big wiring harness. Well it is cut clean not hooked up to anything and there is no way I can figure that out so I’m just going to go without any gauges I reckon. First time using the page and I appreciate all of y’all’s help.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Each wire shoukd have a color code to trace it with, if not a multimeter to test two ends should trace each wire. Or...just run new wires and be done with it...Tach is a very important tool to keep performance going without strain on your motor.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is the engine height too high ? Is there a jack plate on the boat ?
How do you know you have an over speed alarm ? Or rather, what is indicating the fault, with not having any gauges hooked up ?

ChazP

Cadet
How do you know you have an over speed alarm ? Or rather, what is indicating the fault, with not having any gauges hooked up ?
It has the guardian system on it and beeps threw the throttle module for alarms. I looked up what all the beeps could mean and it says continuous beep is Overspeed/Over RPM. That is the only thing I could find for continuous beep.

ChazP

Cadet
And I’ve had two people tell me my shaft looks too long for the boat. The mechanic said when he put it on that he put it to the correct height. At 45mph and trimmed up it does not have any roster tail. But at 45mph I’m not even 3/4 throttle and the continuous beep goes off around 48mph and have to slow down to under 40mph for it to go away

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
And I’ve had two people tell me my shaft looks too long for the boat. The mechanic said when he put it on that he put it to the correct height. At 45mph and trimmed up it does not have any roster tail. But at 45mph I’m not even 3/4 throttle and the continuous beep goes off around 48mph and have to slow down to under 40mph for it to go away
You sure it’s not an over temp alarm ? That’s what I was maybe hinting at. If you only have an audible alarm to go by. But if you are saying that the smart craft gauge is visually indicating an over speed..that’s different of course.

ChazP

Cadet
You sure it’s not an over temp alarm ? That’s what I was maybe hinting at. If you only have an audible alarm to go by. But if you are saying that the smart craft gauge is visually indicating an over speed..that’s different of course.
I’m just going off of the audible alarm. I cannot find a mechanic around me. Closet one I have found is 3 hours away.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’m just going off of the audible alarm. I cannot find a mechanic around me. Closet one I have found is 3 hours away.
If it was the limiter for over rpm…it’s very obvious. The rpm drops with a sudden ignition cut. Then rpms lowers. You’ll climb again and same thing.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The FICHTs were even worse. While the Engines themselves had some serious design Defects, most Dealerships didn't have Service Techs who were properly trained on them. The Dealer would send One Tech, and assumed the Chosen One could train the rest. I assume the same happened at Merc Dealers
For 4 years I did own a FICHT, and while it never conked out, I never trusted that it wouldn't leave me Paddling back