mercury 1000 electric problems

bobbybigblock

Recruit
: Confused:
I recently bought an older mercury 1000, 1968 I believe? When I picked it up the dude fired it up on the engine stand. It ran strong, the battery leads had insulation deterioration, I cut the bad part off, connected new leads and wrapped both leads in shrink wrap together, after heating up the shrink wrap, the new leads melted and shorted out. I wasn't aware of this happening and tried to start it. After several attempts at not starting I rechecked my leads. My question is after energizing the motor and the leads shorting out, what else did I damage? How should I troubleshoot from here?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercury 1000 electric problems

Howdy, BBB.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Well, now I am confused, too.

Which lead(s) shorted to where?

What are your current symptoms?

bobbybigblock

Recruit

The 2 battery leads shorted under the shrink wrap.

Now the engine doesn't start.

Not sure if I have spark, or I damaged some electrical components?

boarrob

Recruit

i am also having problems with my 1973 mercury 115hp motor was running fine then just quit i am not getting power from coil to plugs any ideas from anybody would be helpfull

boarrob

Recruit

:(:confused: i just bought my boat it was running great for about 1/2 hr then just quit i first thought i was out of gas, but not the problem i am not getting any fire to plugs .the motor is a 1973 mercury 115hp was just overhauled last yearand body have an idea.