Mercrusier, replacement of old 3000 series remote control

zilligmarine

Recruit
I am replacing an old 3000 series side flush mount mechanical control box. I already bought a new 600A control cable for the shifting but have decided to also buy a new control box as well since the old one is in bad shape.

My question is: Can I use old style (not gen II) mercrusier control cables with a 4000 series control box? Are they mechanically compatible?

If they do work, does it require more difficult adjustments?

Should I buy a new control box and new cables? or try to find an old control box so I can reuse the current cables? (I already bought a 600A cable that I think is meant for the 3000 series control boxes)

Hello all,

So I joined to ask a very similar question to this actually. I accidentally got the 4000 "gen 2" throttle control box, and new 600a (gen 1?) cables as that is what my boat had originally.

zilligmarine - no the two are not compatible. The "gen 2" cables have a threaded attachment point to the control box, where as the 600a (gen 1?) has the tube thing that slots into a receptacle.

My question which I wanted to find out is if I can abandon entirely the 600a gen1 cabling in my boat and go to gen2? The engine side looks the same in pictures I see. The thing I would be concerned about is if the throws are the same from the control box. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!