Mercrusier 454 Bogs down @ 2500 RPM

H20Dog

Cadet
Mercrusier 454 Bogs down @ 2500 RPM

I purchased a 1994 Mariah Z230 with a Mercrusier 454 EFI Mag. engine. I has run like a champ for the three years I have had it, until this summer. It would run fine but when the throttle was brought back to idle the engine would die or generally run rough then even out. I decided a tune-up was in order so I replaced the dist. cap, rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs and fuel filter. On the next outing the motor ran great at idle (fixed the rough idle stuff) but when I went to run up the throttle to go on plane the engine appeared to lean out (at 3/4 throttle the engine suddenly just started increasing the RPMs on its own). I backed off to idle again. Now when I run up the throttle the engine bogs and won't go above 2500 RPM. Otherwise I runs great up to that point. I have a codemate for the EFI but it's not tossing any codes. Any suggestions? :confused:

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercrusier 454 Bogs down @ 2500 RPM

NO Codes?

Somehow I suspect that the plugs and wires you installed are NOT the same as the originals.

Some electronic systems are VERY sensitive and will not function correctly with some aftermarket replacement parts.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercrusier 454 Bogs down @ 2500 RPM

Need to post in the right forum...