Mercrusier 350 MAG MPI - RPM issue under a load

wbas1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor may have been rebuilt once before and a 383 (6.2) rotating assembly may have been installed prior. Not saying it was, just a possibility

Normally it is not done, but can be moved ever so little, a degree or 2 can change things. There is a Merc Bulletin which shows how to build a $10 tool to get the timing exact. I can post if you want it
please post. Greatly appreciate it.

alldodge

Staff member
Srv Bul 2011 11R2

Attachments

• Bul 2011 11R2 HVS clocking.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

alldodge

Staff member
It doesn't have the cable connecting to the sensor but your Dizzy should have the connector which to the sensor inside

wbas1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It doesn't have the cable connecting to the sensor but your Dizzy should have the connector which to the sensor inside
Yes it does but I might see what I have done wrong all along. This is how I set the timing.
  • got the engine to top dead center
  • Put the distributor in and aligned it to the #8 cast in the housing
  • I never moved the engine to 1 1/16" past TDC then installed the distributor and aligned it to the #8
Did I set base timing incorrectly??

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Looks right, first 2 bullets
As you said, did not move to 10 and install

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
27.7 Baja Crusier. Yes they were replced. I have to look at the plugs since they were replaced when I had it at a mechanic
Did they put the proper plugs in it. These don’t take or run well with normal plugs. Need iridium in them.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I am going to check tonight
Might not be your issue, but I know for sure, they run crappy Witt normal plugs and not too much better with platinum. Manual calls for minimum platinum and prefer iridium. Ngk 5599’s from memory. Really expensive

wbas1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Might not be your issue, but I know for sure, they run crappy Witt normal plugs and not too much better with platinum. Manual calls for minimum platinum and prefer iridium. Ngk 5599’s from memory. Really expensive
thank you. I will check what they put in

wbas1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks right, first 2 bullets
As you said, did not move to 10 and install
I will be making the tester tomorrow & testing tomorrow night. i will reply once I have an update. Fingers crossed.

alldodge

Staff member
so I did not need to move the motor 1 1/16 then install the distributor
Lets say I didn't understand fully about the 10* or 1/16. If your saying you need to move the rotor about that much past prior to dropping it in so the Rotor will align correctly", then Yes it should be done.

I'm saying after the Dizzy is installed it needs to align with the point or the 8

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Don't fully agree, but right now that isn't the problem MR43LTS will work just fine and is what they originally came with
They are platinum AD. Minimum requirement. My earlier post just suggesting to make sure it’s at least them.
Unfortunately I’ve known a few of these to have some idiot throw the normal carb plugs in these, like the br6. Just don’t work.

wbas1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: I have returned from vacation so I will be going down to the boat tonight to make the final adjustments to the distributor per alldodges service bulletin from Merc. Hopefully the weather cooperates that I can water test it.

wbas1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lets say I didn't understand fully about the 10* or 1/16. If your saying you need to move the rotor about that much past prior to dropping it in so the Rotor will align correctly", then Yes it should be done.

I'm saying after the Dizzy is installed it needs to align with the point or the 8
Update: I went down to the boat today and made the necessary adjustments to the distributor/HVS per the service bulletin and unfortunately no change. Runs great at the dock but once you try to get on a plan it has no getup and go.

alldodge

Staff member
New motor and 150 psi all cylinders
New ECM from Merc
Firing order is correct and there is no misfiring, just low power
Timing is dead on correct using the timing tool per bulletin

For me, not the sharpest tool
Only thing left is there might not be enough advance in timing, or not enough fuel, or its not a vortec 350, or the wrong reluctor wheel was installed

Take a advance timing light and connect to number 1. Can be at the dock and rev motor up to see how much advance your getting

Look behind the heads on the block rear deck for a casting number. It will be a 6 to 8 digit number with no letters.

wbas1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New motor and 150 psi all cylinders
New ECM from Merc
Firing order is correct and there is no misfiring, just low power
Timing is dead on correct using the timing tool per bulletin

For me, not the sharpest tool
Only thing left is there might not be enough advance in timing, or not enough fuel, or its not a vortec 350, or the wrong reluctor wheel was installed

Take a advance timing light and connect to number 1. Can be at the dock and rev motor up to see how much advance your getting

Look behind the heads on the block rear deck for a casting number. It will be a 6 to 8 digit number with no letters.
Just so you know what I did with the timing tool. I got the motor to TDC, then I rotated the motor to 10degrees BTC. Once I had the motor to 10 degrees BTC I used the timing tool to get it set dead on. I will get the other information tomorrow