Mercruiser V6 4.3lx thermostat removal

Buck Naked

Cadet
My boat is 20 years old and I just cleaned the exhuast elbows and installed new gaskets on her. I never have had a over heating problem, but decided that after 20 years I would put a new thermostat in it. I bought a Quicksilver thermo kit and pulled the top cover plate off, the gasket was left intact and took a while to clean off. Now it looks like a retainer sleeve holds down the thermostat. The sleeve is well stuck in there. Been applying PB blaster and tapping it with a screw driver to try and loosen it up a little. I'm pretty sure there's nothing else that holds this in. Can anybody shed some advice on this issue??? I can hear my Dad now saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it!" Oh well to late...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser V6 4.3lx thermostat removal

How about at a year and a picture of your thermostat housing. There are all kinds of thermostat housings.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those do stick, (most of the time) when not removed for many years. Just remove it and replace the sleeve as well. Most Mercruiser dealers keep them in stock because they do stick and get damaged.

Buck Naked

Cadet

2 1/2 hours later and it's out. Mercruiser later changed this thermostat holder sleeve to plastic instead of brass. Good idea probably doesnt adhere like the brass one...

cr2k

Captain

A little rust is a powerful thing!