mercruiser v6 4.3 water in oil

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mercruiser v6 4.3 water in oil

They are not freeze plugs. A common misconception. They are casting plugs used to cover the holes where the sand is extracted from the block when it is cast at the manufacturing plant. Those plugs have nothing to do with offering any kind of freeze protection.

Does it matter what a guy calls them? No. Do people "fully" understand when someone mentions a "freeze plug" on an engine? Yes.
I always laugh when someone points out this so called common misconception.
Besides, if you went in and asked a parts guy for a "casting plug" he would probably ask you what that was - and I wouldn't hold that against him due to most (not all) folks, suppliers and literature calling them freeze plugs for the past 50 years. It's all good

:)

Sorry to get off topic Jenny. Wish you well on the engine swap/repair.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Does it matter what a guy calls them? No. Do people "fully" understand when someone mentions a "freeze plug" on an engine? Yes.
I always laugh when someone points out this so called common misconception.
Besides, if you went in and asked a parts guy for a "casting plug" he would probably ask you what that was - and I wouldn't hold that against him due to most (not all) folks, suppliers and literature calling them freeze plugs for the past 50 years. It's all good

:)

Sorry to get off topic Jenny. Wish you well on the engine swap/repair.

Yes, it dont mean nothing what they are called. My point is that most people think that these plugs are there to save the engine block should the water freeze in the block. Thats probably why we see so many posts about cracked engine blocks here.

rlee6427

Recruit

sounds like my issue, i have an 86 baretta with a 4.3l cobra. this winter i drained the risers but forgot to drain the block. first time out 4 weeks back and got water in the oil and water oil mix coming out of the pcv hoses on top of the carb. pulled the intake and heads and discovered a crack just below the heads. did some research and ordered some welding rods from muggy weld and grinded and welded the cracks, very simple to weld. Going to head out today to test the motor to see if the weld holds. tested it 3 times in yard with hose hooked up, good so far. will post results tonight.