Mercruiser Trim Gauge Problem

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1985 Sea Ray SRV 300 5.7L twin Mercruisers with alpha 1 out drives. Outdrive serial numbers are 0B796231 and F6910806.

When I bought the boat (used) the trim limit and sender wires were not hooked up for either drive. While I was replacing the drive rubber boots, I replaced the trim limit and sender switches. I hooked up the trim limit switches to the trim pump and adjusted the travel limit, everything worked great.

I hooked up the trim sender to the brown/white and black wires on the engine, the trim gauges did not work. When I looked at the back of the gauges, I found no sender wires hooked up to the sender "stud". I could not find the original brown/white wire coming up from the motor harness, so I ended up running a new wire from the gauge directly to the trim sender wire. I left the ground side of the trim sender switch hooked up to the black wire on the engine. I checked it with a meter and it read good (ground). The gauge would then peg past the limit specified on the gauge, like it was opposite the way it should read. When I adjusted the trim sender switch on the out drive it would peg full up or full out, no in between.

I looked on the Teleflex web site and it said if the gauge appears to operate opposite, the gauge might not match the sender. The trim sender was a standard Mercruiser part number for my drive (805320A2 Doug Russell web site). The original gauges are Teleflex Marine International P/N 53216P and Doug Russell list the gauge as Mercruiser P/N 79-99535A2.

I tried to find out how to match the gauge to the trim sender switch, but was unable to find anything on the Teleflex web site. Should I run a separate ground wire from the gauge to the trim sender switch? Both gauges act the same way. I did check the switches by hooking up a multi-meter between the two leads coming from the switch and the resistance varied uniformly while moving the out drive up and down. I forgot what the actual readings were.

Thank you in advance..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser Trim Gauge Problem

You should have a third wire going to the gauge (purple)
The terminals are marked I (Purple ign. wire ), S (Brown/white sender wire), G (Black ground)
Check to make sure they are all correct. Then disconnect the sender from the outdrive and turn it by hand and see if the gauge works. You may just have the sender 180 out or something.