Mercruiser starts and dies

ted4420

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
26
I have a Bayliner with a Mercruiser 5.7 motor. It it died on the lake and would occaisionally run for less than a minute. I followed the diagnostic chart and it said I needed a coil. I installed a new Mercruiser coil. It starts easier but I have to turn the kill switch off then on and it will start again. It will run smooth for a minute and then start missing and die. If I crank the motor and turn the on/off switch on the quadrant it will start but die after 1 minute. When it starts to die I sprayed a fine mist of starting fluid and the carb. It still dies. I have put 12 volts directly to the coil and it doesen't help. I need help! Thanks, Ted
 

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
1,798
Re: Mercruiser starts and dies

Move this question out of the prop forum and into the Mercruiser forum, and you will get lots of great help!

Good luck!
 

ted4420

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
26
Re: Mercruiser starts and dies

Thanks, I will move it. Ted
 
Top