Mercruiser/Quicksilver 20W-40 oil part number

agallant80

Commander
I am a bit confused about the oil that my motor takes. The manual says Mercruiser Full Synthetic 20W-40 but I can't find it. Does anyone know what the part number is? I may have better luck googling the part number.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mercruiser/Quicksilver 20W-40 oil part number

I am a bit confused about the oil that my motor takes. The manual says Mercruiser Full Synthetic 20W-40 but I can't find it. Does anyone know what the part number is? I may have better luck googling the part number.

858088K01 Gallon
858087K01 Quart

Might have a 92- in front of it depending on where you look.

Mark

agallant80

Commander

This is what confused me. How is it only $30 for a gallon of synthetic oil?

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Synthetics are getting cheaper all the time. I'm somewhat surprised the Merc oil isn't outrageously expensive though. I guess they realize they have more competition than they used to.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget that if you also have a catalyst engine that REQUIRES the "correct" oil ......You could damage the cat-convertor with the wrong oil.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget that if you also have a catalyst engine that REQUIRES the "correct" oil ......You could damage the cat-convertor with the wrong oil.

Why would that matter in a four stroke?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Why would that matter in a four stroke?

There are *some* additives in oil that can damage the catalytic converter in 4-stroke engines.

....specifically, anti-wear additives like zddp etc...

From mercury Marine: MerCruiser Fuel & Oil FAQs | Storage & Maintenance MerCruiser FAQs | Mercury Marine

What type of oil should I use? Can I use synthetic oil?

Engine Oil
For optimum engine performance and maximum protection, use the following oil:
ApplicationRecommended Oil
All MerCruiser enginesMercury MerCruiser Full-Synthetic Engine Oil, 20W-40, NMMC FC-W rated
IMPORTANT: Lubrication requirements for catalyzed engines differ from the requirements for non-catalyzed engines. Some marine-grade lubricants contain high levels of phosphorus, which can damage the catalyst system on MerCruiser engines. Although these high-phosphorus lubricants may allow acceptable engine performance, exposure over time will damage the catalyst. Catalysts damaged by lubricants containing high levels of phosphorus may not be covered by the MerCruiser Limited Warranty.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmmm goood t know i know u can damage two strokes if u dont use oil for ethanol gas ...like some small engine 2-cycle stuff

agallant80

Commander

I am pretty sure in this day and age and auto parts store oil will be cat safe.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I am pretty sure in this day and age and auto parts store oil will be cat safe.

Well, you're probably right........let your concience be your guide.... Just be sure that you are using whatever API designation Mercury recommends for a CAT engine. I woulnd't even want to guess what a set of cat converters would cost for one of those engines......
Catalysts damaged by lubricants containing high levels of phosphorus may not be covered by the MerCruiser Limited Warranty.

Caveat Emptor

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a lot of good information. I'll make sure to NEVER EVER buy a marine engine with cats.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, you're probably right........let your concience be your guide.... Just be sure that you are using whatever API designation Mercury recommends for a CAT engine. I woulnd't even want to guess what a set of cat converters would cost for one of those engines......

They list for just over $1200 each. A V8 requires 2 of them.

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

They list for just over $1200 each. A V8 requires 2 of them.

:jaw:

I hope it's not illegal to just take them off if they go kaput.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

:jaw:

I hope it's not illegal to just take them off if they go kaput.

I can say without hesitation it WILL be.

"They" just won't know until marine emission inspections begin.

topcat112

Cadet

okay now I am afraid of changing my oil due to caps requirements. Can someone please tell me how I can tell if my 2011 4.3 has cats? It is time for the break in change.

I apologize if I should have started another thread for this question. It seemed to flow with conversation.

topcat112

Cadet

okay ran out to the garage and checked. It says "Ultra Low Emissions". I think I am screwed.

agallant80

Commander

Also I am sure in a few years wen these things start failing some one will figure out how to delete them and it will require a part off of ebay and a google search of mercruiser cat delete. When mine go bad if deleting them is an option then I will. But they are just cats, the only fancy thing here is cooling them. I am sure the cats will last a long time as long as salt water does not get to them.

agallant80

Commander

Hey Don,

You got me thinking. Lets say if you have to replace the cats and manifolds/risers. Do you know what the manifolds and risers cost?