Mercruiser MC1 to Alpha (1)

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I am about to replace my MC1 outdrive with a Alpha gen1.
Everything looks good, but I have a question about the shocks on the MC1 and the lack of, on the Alpha.
Will I have issues without the shocks, is there some need for them on my MC1 gimble and trim that now will be lacking ?
Also, I am wondering about the reverse latch not on the alpha that was on the MC1...
Thanks in advance, Jim

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I suspect you have an E-Z shift drive, not an MC1. And you can't replace an E-Z with an Alpha. Not compatible.

Chris. ....

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
OK, I did know I have an EZ shift, I thought it was part of the MC1 ? So it must be before the MC1?
Thanks, Jim

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yes, it was before the MC1. And this sort of drive is why we can't call anything "pre-Alpha".... Bondo and I once counted the drives that Mercury produced before the Alpha One, 15....

Chris. ...

Bondo

Staff member
OK, I did know I have an EZ shift,

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Unfortunately, 'bout the only up-grade for yer driveline, is a pulleys to prop swap,....

Little to no support for what ya got either,....

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
OK,
Thanks everyone, looks like my bellows replacement last year was a training session... I will now be looking for a donor boat and swapping a lot more than the outdrive. But all for for the better to upgrade.
Thanks Again, Jim