mercruiser gear lube?

mattie_k

Cadet
Do I have to use the mercruiser gear lube in my alpha one (gen 2) or can I just pick up something like a premium synthetic gear lube from the auto parts store? The problem is that the nearest marina is 3 hours away.

Capt Ralph

Cadet
Re: mercruiser gear lube?

I read somewhere on here that 80w-90 gear lube works just as well. I used Valvoline 80w-90 in my Alpha I gen2<br /><br />-CR

Bondo

Staff member

I use Mobil 1 75W-90 Syn-oil........

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there an adequate substitute for Mercruiser Gear Lube part no. 92-802854A 1 @%$10.95 quart? Synthetic Oil? Which weight?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Alpha I Gen II Drives from Mercruiser list out at $5300. Sure you can buy rebuilts, and cheaper imitations, but don't you think any of them would be worth 15 bucks a year to put the correct gear lube in?

Sea Ducer

Cadet

Hello ,<br /> Just a new cadet here but I did work on a lifetime marine mechanics house & he showed me the graphs on the different lubes & I will use nothing but the Merc QuickSilver in my units.<br /> Of course graphs can be manipulated to sway one way or another but for the little cost difference it aint worth the repairs!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I dont know anything about graphs, I hate marketing and I am no where near as technoligically sophisticated as DonS nor do I have half his knowledge.<br /> I have done this marine repair gig on and off(break for the USN) for about 30 years.<br /> the merc HP gear lube for mercs V6 and all mercruisers is about as good as it gets.<br /> I also work mostly as an independant contractor and get paid nothing for parts or materiels used so I only use what I think is the best for the application.<br /> it aint my shop nor my money however it is my reputation on the line.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

My mechanic uses the Merc HP gear lube in my old Cobra drive because he feels it is the best there is, he could just as easily use the OMC/Bomb stuff since he sells their stuff too, it is able to lube the drive even if you have water intrusion, which is the main advantage over a non marine lube.