Mercruiser dipstick tube doesn't fit with new pan

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I had a new engine built made a thread about it earlier I'm sure quite a few people saw it.

Although the new oil pan has the same oil capacity it does not allow the mercruiser dipstick to seat all the way into the pan. When you compare the mercruiser dipstick tube to the truck engine dipstick tube.. You can see the little ring on the tube that bottoms out shows that the mercruiser tube is quite a bit longer after the seat ring..

I can't use the new dipstick too because it gets in the way of the exhaust manifolds.

I can't use the old oil pan because it was damaged when the mercruiser 5.7 engine exploded.

Anybody have any cool ideas on how I can get around this?

PXL_20210711_213615366.jpg

PXL_20210711_213622176.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral
merc tube is longer to allow one to exit the oil from the pan using a vacuum pump

you could cut the merc tube to fit but the dipstick may not seat all the way due to pan differences, plus you couldn't vacuum all the old oil out

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
merc tube is longer to allow one to exit the oil from the pan using a vacuum pump

you could cut the merc tube to fit but the dipstick may not seat all the way due to pan differences, plus you couldn't vacuum all the old oil out
So with that said the actual dipstick itself for the mercruiser tube is longer as well so I cut down the mercruiser tube to be the same length from the end to the ring seat on the tube but because the dipstick for the mercruiser engine is still longer it has an incorrect engine reading and I'm worried that because it's longer that the dipstick may go too far down into the pan and maybe interfere with the rotating assembly?

And I can't use the newer dipstick because it doesn't sit into the mercruiser tube all the way so it shows an oil level that is too low.

I'm a little scared trying to bend the new dipstick tube into the 90° radius because I think the tube itself will split even with heat applied.

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All right so I think I figured out a solution I put the mercruiser dipstick back in that's been modified so it's been cut down to length on the bottom and the oil pan.

Because the dipstick now for that dipstick tube is too long I took the leftover piece from the mercruiser dipstick tube made some measurements and I cut a piece off to make a spacer and I epoxy that spacer into the seat of the dipstick handle So now when I put the dipstick in it doesn't go all the way in anymore and it shows the proper oil capacity.

PXL_20210711_230055100.jpg

PXL_20210711_230148580.jpg