mercruiser alarm

mercruiser alarm...possible water pressure sensor or power sterring temp sensor?

• write it here

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • count the numbers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ronald Moffitt

Recruit
Hi I have read many issues about Mercruiser alarms, my personnal repair to my twin 496 mags was the serpentine belt had to be very tight to pump water to shut off the water pressure alarm and now my Sea Ray with twin 350s has one alarm that is beeping. turned out to be sensor on cooler on top back of motor for power steering was bad. not all boats have a water pressure sensor or they might not have a P/S cooler sensor. but my belt had to be real tight to kick off alarm for the water pressure sensor

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... So which motor is the problem,..??

Earl Cordova

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have had to change the water pressure sensor on my 496 four times since I purchased it in 2005. Although the fresh water here is rather hard.

Ronald Moffitt

Recruit
the problem is with my 350 mag s in my Sea Ray, I had to replace one starter, so I removed exhaust manifold to get access, drained engine of water and reassembled, now alarm goes off, ordered a new sensor and waiting on delivery. I checked belt for being tight,,, so many boats with alarm issues but nobody mentions the water pressure alarm

Bondo

Staff member
the problem is with my 350 mag s in my Sea Ray, I had to replace one starter, so I removed exhaust manifold to get access, drained engine of water and reassembled, now alarm goes off, ordered a new sensor and waiting on delivery. I checked belt for being tight,,, so many boats with alarm issues but nobody mentions the water pressure alarm
Ayuh,..... There used to be only 3 options,....
With electronic motors, they keep adding more, 'n more sensors,......
Also, be sure the wiring for the sensors are clean, secure, 'n pass current properly,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sw pressure sensor can be a common one, I’d say. Do you have smart craft that might tell you if she has a reading or not ?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see a real tight belt causing an alarm on anything. Over time it will burn out a bearing, but not cause a water pressure alarm. See it as coincidence. As Q mentioned the water pressure sensor has the highest failure rate

If your new motors are closed cooled then may have air in the system. Open cool not so much

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi I have read many issues about Mercruiser alarms, my personnal repair to my twin 496 mags was the serpentine belt had to be very tight to pump water to shut off the water pressure alarm and now my Sea Ray with twin 350s has one alarm that is beeping. turned out to be sensor on cooler on top back of motor for power steering was bad. not all boats have a water pressure sensor or they might not have a P/S cooler sensor. but my belt had to be real tight to kick off alarm for the water pressure sensor
So was the alarm definitely for sw pressure? And not for a low voltage ?