mercruiser advice

01SeaRayBR

Cadet
Re: mercruiser advice

True, i wouldn't want this to happen to my new motor. Hmm, well what do you guys think that would cause this to happen? Leaky manifolds? bad head gasket? reversion? heads? Im going to acetone test the manifolds. head gasket will be new in long block, heads will be new in long block. Thats all i can think of, but i am by far no expert. guidance is greatly needed. Thanks in advance.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I was just pointing out that You have much more going on than warn parts. Sounds like it was really running lean, maybe getting water, maybe geared wrong? . Sounds like the OP has it under control. I am not sure how the national debt and my definition of a long block helps this thread.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

In addition to the manual, you're going to need an engine alignment tool. You can pick one up on ebay. Personally, if the manifolds and risers were three years or more old, i wouldn't bother with testing them. I'd simply replace them. Pulling the engine can be done with a rented auto hoist. Just make sure it can go high enough to clean the transom.You might have to raise the engine to clear the engine bay; lay it on a couple of 4" x 4" beams across the floor; and then reset the engine hoist chain so you can raise it high enough. It's not a difficult job. The only problem I found with doing the pull is removing the rear engine mount bolts. They're sometimes rusted in fairty tightly. Replace the double coil lock washers and the felt washers at the rear mounts. They're inexpensive and keep things in proper alignment. Remember to pull your drive before you pull the engine. Good luck. Hy