Mercruiser 7.4L 454cid V-Drive

Sundancer370

Recruit
Can anyone advise how I may find service history on my engines & transmissions,
or if they have possibly been rebuilt or even replaced since vsl newbuild 1995.
Bl'v following Casting & Ser' No's apply;
Port Eng; Casting No; 10114183 - Ser' No; F609423
Stb'd Eng; Casting No; 10114183 - Ser' No; F609428

Hurth HSW 630 V1 2.0 Transmissions Serial No's;
Port; 16 12213 - Stb'd; 16 12194
*Previous owner could not provide any service history on foregoing equip't.
Any assistance appreciated. John.

Sundancer370

Recruit
Maybe @Yegboats can help with this question…
If no one chimes in as a representative from a Mercruiser dealer you could either call a Mercruiser dealer or send a email to Mercruiser customer service…,
Hi Fun Times; Thanks your reply, will wait a few days to see if any more replies, then digest all and decide how to proceed.
Cheers; John.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe @Yegboats can help with this question…
If no one chimes in as a representative from a Mercruiser dealer you could either call a Mercruiser dealer or send a email to Mercruiser customer service…,
ENG: 0F609423 37435L9HS MIE 7.4L CARB
LH-HOR-HU VD 2.1-RWC-3"-NO FLG

ENG: 0F609428 37435L9HS MIE 7.4L CARB

When you punch in these engine serial numbers into mercs parts schematic you can see Hurth transmissions listed. No option to search the transmissions serial numbers separately with these like you can on a mercruiser drive.

The only thing I can tell you is that these were in a 1995 SEARAY 370DA There was no original warranty failures registered on either engine. Unfortunately unless you have a service record from a shop/dealer you won't be able to find any service history.

Mercury has very recently added an option to update maintenance logs. Dealers seldom use them lol.

Sundancer370

Recruit
ENG: 0F609423 37435L9HS MIE 7.4L CARB

ENG: 0F609428 37435L9HS MIE 7.4L CARB

When you punch in these engine serial numbers into mercs parts schematic you can see Hurth transmissions listed. No option to search the transmissions serial numbers separately with these like you can on a mercruiser drive.

The only thing I can tell you is that these were in a 1995 SEARAY 370DA There was no original warranty failures registered on either engine. Unfortunately unless you have a service record from a shop/dealer you won't be able to find any service history.

Mercury has very recently added an option to update maintenance logs. Dealers seldom use them lol.
Thanks your reply Yegboats;
Yes these eng's are in my 1995 Searay Sundancer 370 DA which I bought in 2019, after digging around some more Iv'e just found an original data sheet from 1995 in the boat showing that eng' No's were same as now so at least I know they have not been changed out in meantime & that eng' hours on tach's are accurate but still don't know if any big servicing jobs have been done. I do have some of the typical rattling noises in the transmission area and suspect its from the damper plates judging by a lot of the comments I read about this subject on various boater sites, so am toying with the idea of pulling the Hurths off and trying to replace the dampers myself, a daunting task with all thats involved but might have no choice. This is why I was trying to get some history on the engines and transmissions. I did try to submit these Nos on Merc Marine site but it would not accept the Ser' Nos I entered, it states must be an 8 digit string with a Letter in front which is what I did but it still would not accept it.

If anyone out there has changed damper plates on similar boat with similar equipt would love to get some advice on best way to attack it, I don't want to take the engines out so have to do it in situ which blv means jacking up engines slightly at Fwd end etc plus alignment checks etc afterwards.
*Sorry for long reply, have to say this forums.iboats.com is a great site.
Cheers; John.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Easier to take the motor out than to try to jack it up

Sundancer370

Recruit
Easier to take the motor out than to try to jack it up
Scott; Yes fully agree but boat is hauled out on blocks for winter and no access for any kind of mobile lifting equip't and I'm trying to do it myself insitu to save big costs. Worst case if I decide to go ahead is to wait until spring when boats around me are moved out of way then get a fork hi-lift to lift engines out and take home to my garage and do it there. Or might just live with it for another season and try to do it next winter.
Decisions Decisions. John.