mercruiser 7.4 (L29) firing order

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Ayuh,..... You need to bring #1 cylinder to Tdc, compression stroke,.....
The #1 on the distributor cap is whichever post the rotor is pointed at,.....
There's no particular post that has to be #1, like in the pictures,....
You cannot go by that if the dist was clocked differently. #1 can be anywhere o n the cap depending on how the dist was previously installed. You could try removing #1 plug and dist cap. crank engine listening for the rush of air from #1` and looking to where the rotor is pointing

So once I get #1 on tdc and get the new cap and rotor... Can I just set the rotor to get #8 at the rear most point?

Also, instead of that jumper plug, can I just use a wire to jump the 2 pins to set initial timing?

Bondo

Staff member
So once I get #1 on tdc and get the new cap and rotor... Can I just set the rotor to get #8 at the rear most point?

Also, instead of that jumper plug, can I just use a wire to jump the 2 pins to set initial timing?
Nope,.... The rotor is keyed to the shaft,..... #1 is whichever post the rotor is pointing at,.....
If you want to move the order around the cap, you need to pull the distributor outa the block, 'n retime the distributor gear to the cam gear,....

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Nope,.... The rotor is keyed to the shaft,..... #1 is whichever post the rotor is pointing at,.....
If you want to move the order around the cap, you need to pull the distributor outa the block, 'n retime the distributor gear to the cam gear,....

Gotcha. So when replacing the rotor it will only sit correctly in 1 position?

Then just make note of which point is #1 for my specific engine, file it away.... and never be able to find it again. Lol

If I'm not mistaken, the shaft the rotor presses onto is shaped like the letter D, it only fits one way. Once you confirm which post is #1 you can paint a white 1 near it on the cap so in the future you know, or replace one wire off at a time when you do them down the road ;)

1990dtgl98

Seaman
If I'm not mistaken, the shaft the rotor presses onto is shaped like the letter D, it only fits one way. Once you confirm which post is #1 you can paint a white 1 near it on the cap so in the future you know, or replace one wire off at a time when you do them down the road ;)

Live and learn 😂